Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Are Jeep's made from crap?

Old 03-08-2009, 09:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, at least mine isn't made of crap.
I love my Jeep and wouldn't get rid of it.
I even had a guy at work tonight say" you really do love your Jeep don't you."
and i could only reply "Yes,Yes I Do."
Old 03-08-2009, 10:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by armycop
I think a major part of the problem is the addition of the 4-door which was a blessing and a curse at the same time.

The "Jeeper" who has owned Wranglers in the past and needs a bigger vehicle for the expanding family, now has a choice, and doesn't notice the cheap plastic as he or she is hosing the mud off of it in their driveway. It's a Jeep thing" when the cheap interior scratches or there is a new clunk coming from somewhere underneath the hood.

The "Non-Jeeper" who trades in their Honda Accord for the cool looking 4-door SUV is the one that is expecting perfection and pretty brushed aluminum trim, leather, etc and complains about everything.
truer words have not been spoken
Old 03-09-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JKlad

The 4-door opened up the market to people who would normally have gone for an SUV or soft-roader, and suddenly deceided to buy a Wrangler based solely on it's looks and "cool-factor" and seemed to have no idea they were buying an off-road vehicle with limited (but certainly better than previous models) on-road capability.

Rediculous comments such as "I find it hard to fit child seats to my wrangler" and "the ride is so harsh and bouncy on those crude old solid axles; why doesn't it have independant suspension?", not to mention "some interior luxuries such as electric seat adjustment and wood grain would be nice" bear testament to this. Yeah, my Jeep has some minor issues, but I've also thrashed it off-road and hit dips and bumps at speeds that would have destroyed many other so-called 4WD's, and the big 'ole Dana 44's just beg for more. As far as I'm concerned. soccer moms and office workers who bought Wranglers as a daily driver based purely on their looks without taking any of these other factors into account deserve what they get!
This is the reason the 4 door has a poor reliability rating and the 2 door has an average reliability rating (even though they're the same vehicle). That and dumbasses who don't know how to work the 4 door soft top and break it and the fact that more 4 doors have MyGig. MyGig is great, but it has a shitload of problems...
Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 PM
HGF
JK Newbie

yeah, going mainstream with what realistically is a fairly niche vehicle is always tough, ppl are expecting a hummer or something...its a jeep, man. also his friends srt-8 numbers are crap, if no one else noticed. My dad had one for almost two yrs, hes on to a srt-8 challenger now, but that jeep at best was 13/18, prolly more like 12/16...my moms diesel grand doesn't get 23 highway unless you drive like 65 or so...and its way better than the srt
Old 03-18-2009, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wth ....?

I live in Oregon and my dad's dead and my grandpa played trombone in Lawrence Welk... Guess what? bfd!!!

The OP has not read the manual.

It clearly sates you need to be slightly moving or creeping to slide the transfer case into 4hi.

This tells me that the OP isn't quite the Macho outdoorsey 4wd mac-daddy she imagines herself/himself to be.

Pathetic. Get over yourself, ride a bike like all the other Oregon crybabies and hire one of this city's numerous attorneys... Shouldn't be too hard to find one here who hates big American corporations that she'd love to drive the screws into while she drives back to the Pearl District in her Subaru wagon...

Don't let the door hit you on your way out!

Hey... Im Just kidding. You sound legit.... Seriously.

Oh, if the speedo sticks, have the GD dealer fix it!!! I cannot see the problem! Are you too intimidated to directly ask this?
If they still balk, go to a different dealer. Helllo??? Do you really need the Internet to tell you these basic instructions?
Good gawd.....

Last edited by RescueGreen#3; 03-18-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
Ok, I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada Eh! Of course it happens, whats the big deal about the frost....get rid of your Jeep if you don't like it.
Look dude, you came onto a forum where 99% of the people active here LOVE their Jeeps, and you say it's made of crap and then bitch and whine about it...at first I was trying to be helpful but now I see that if you're that displeased with it, get rid of it and don't expect any support from a forum dedicated to those that love their JK's

...oh, by the way...did you know they don't have low windshield washer fluid warning lights either?
hahaha x2 sounds like he does have a lame stealership though
Old 03-19-2009, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

I bought an 01 Impala back in 2000 and within 300 miles of owning it, it wouldn't start after getting gas. No dummy lights, no starter click, nothing. Did that 2 times before the dealership found the problem - a loose ground at the BCM. At the time, I thought my new car was crap and threatened to take it back. After that problem was resolved, nothing but good to come out of it until a mechanic screwed it.

Impala is now gone and I'm the owner of an 09 Sahara Unlimited. The piece of sh!t doesn't have automatic headlights, what's up with that? haha, actually, I'm loving having less bells and whistles. I have MyGIG with Nav and such and I'm loving it to tell you the truth. what's funny is that I'm only getting 4-5 mpg less in the Jeep then I did in the Impala. On my commute, I was getting only about 21-22 mpg in the car and now I'm driving a brick.

Love the Jeep so far. I loved our old CJ5 when I was growing up, I learned how to drive stick on it. Stand on clutch -> SLAM into gear.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

im amazed at all the jeep bashing on this thread. ok.... its not a willys or cj. but its a jeep wrangler. i am thrilled with my 08 rubicon. yeah it has issues, but its man made. i honestly can say i dont care what else may happen to my jeep, its not leaving my possesion without a new one in its place. i guess your JK needs more mud.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bendista jeeper
even the gun in the glove box.
WTF?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

i think they are made of crap too, I had 2 TJ's never had an issue. my 07 rubi has been in 5 times for new clutches. new throw out bearings, clunky stearing. radio ticks, chirping shifting, traction control kept tunrning on for no reason... My wifes honda has not needed to go in yet except for standard service. Id still take my jeep over any car in the world but its getting harder. thats a fact. i see why some of these companies need a bailout.

Quick Reply: Are Jeep's made from crap?