Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Are Jeep's made from crap?

Old 03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Jeep's made from crap?

I am starting to regret my purchase. I bought a 2008 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited in October. I have 3400 miles on it. I drive it to work (1.5 miles) when the weather is too bad for my bike or scooter. The rest of the time I drive around on forest service roads, fire roads, and some trails. I plan to use the jeep for travel and towing my motorcycles to races this spring and summer. A wrangler seemed like the only worthy replacement for my Land Rover Discovery. The stock Jeep Rubicon is also as capable off road as my lifted and armored Rover.
I like the Jeep, but I am not sure how much. I really cant think of another vehicle I want, but I shouldn't have to put up with some of this crap in a 30,000 dollar truck.

First, the speedo sometimes sticks at 40 when driving on slick sufaces, dealer can't find the problem.

Second, It pops out of 1rst and won't go back into gear until the revs come back down, this problem should be first but I am listing in order of occurance not importance.

Third, Interior completly covered in frost, even the gun in the glove box.

Fourth, TPMS set to 40 PSI, had to fight dealer them to even see if they could do it. Then they wanted to charge me 97 dollars to do it. I told them to ask their general manager if he thinks he should pay when he needs a little adjustment on the Ducati he bought from my shop (dealer set up charges should include adjustments for the first 30 days, it is only good service)

Fifth, Still pops out of gear, and wont go back in until the revs go down, witch I think takes way too long.

Sixth, poped out of gear in 4 low, locked rear, starting to slide sideways on a steep snow covered two track road. I almost didn't save it.

7th, clunks into gears, sounds like my rover did when the transfer case output shaft bearing was going bad. Lots of clunk when trying to shift in 4x4 high or low.

8th, almost impossable to shift into 4wd sometimes. It was stiff at first and I would think that would be normal since it was new. A few truck I have had probably were never used in 4wd and they were all tight until I had used it for a while. But this has gotten worse and I use 4 high several times a week, and 4 low at least once a week, many times in and out of 4wd all day long. It is to the point that I avaid using 4wd unless I really really need to. That usually means going fast and harder in 2wd, not always the best choice.

9th, For 13.4 MPG I would expect a little more power. My buddies SRT8 Grand Cherokee gets 18 in town and 23 hwy. I get 13 and 19? WTF

Every time I go to the dealer they ask if I changed the tires and lifted it. I say no, it is a rubicon, they come with those tires.

I really do not know what I would replace the JK with. I thought I would buy it, pay it off in a couple years (I had a huge down) and own it forever.
I bought a new Jeep because I intend to keep it forever, I am not sure this one can live up to that task.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:59 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like you might have a lemon. You might want to check into that.

What did you drive previously?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:03 AM
JK Newbie

Mine was hard to get into 4 hi also. After reading the manual it says you should be moving 2-3 mph. It shifts right in. Those MPGs sound aweful. I have an auto and mine is around 17-18mpg.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry you don't like your Rubi...did you purchase used? If not, a trip to the dealer to discuss the trani slipping issue should get you a fix for those issues....but issue number six...well I can't say I support you on that one, you should do a little more research on the proper use of a locker and why you slid on a snow packed road...good luck with the transmission issues though and I really hope you find a way to keep and enjoy your Jeep
Old 03-04-2009, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2009 is even more defective than my 2007 was that was bought back under the lemon law. I think it is a pretty accurate statement that the Jeep JKs are built of crap. Or really by monkey controlled robots, that is the problem. The attorney that handled my lemon case said they did 1 wrangler a week. There were 4 wrangler owners in the waiting room while I signed my papers.

I think you should either learn to deal with it or trade it and cut your emotional and financial losses now before it gets to bad. Aside from your tranny issues everything else you have commented on is going to be minor once the other design problems start cropping up.

Don't believe that if you replace it under the lemon law that the newer models will be any different. They won't.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bendista jeeper
Are jeeps made from crap?
nope not all jeeps, just the jks.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:23 AM
Coy
JK Enthusiast

Default Hankie

Wah wah wah come on.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well honestly it sucks that you are having issues... but really, aside from the transfer case everything sounds like nit picking... you bought a jeep.

also, it sounds like you might be shifting int to 4wd wrong... not saying you don't know what you are doing.

13.4mpg? if you are stock then something is wrong if that is what you are getting, unless you are just riding the skinny everywhere.

you compared it to a Land Rover and an SRT8 WK.... apples and oranges. work out the bugs and you'll probably be happy. If the dealer is a pain change dealers or escalate the issue with DC.... do it quick though before the go belly up
Old 03-04-2009, 06:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats exactly why I took a settlement and did not lemon my 08, cause who knows if the 09 would have been any better. It could even be worse.

Currently looking at a nice used TJ with only 13,000 on it.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I always think it is so weird when I hear stuff like this b/c I own the dreaded 07 and have had no issues at all. Have to say it is a JEEP and there is some nitpick in there. For instance some people HATE the "cheap plastic interior" THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT!!! It is easy to clean if you get it filthy.

Are you creeping forward when shifting to 4hi? I likes to be moving a little. I personally love the shift-on-the-fly...just hit the trail and when you are going 15-20mph pull it into 4HI...there should be nothing hard about it, my girlfriend can do it. I bet you are talking about at a DEAD STOP. I have noticed that, sometimes at a dead stop it doesn't want to go...just let it creep forward a little, I can't think of any situation that, that would be a big deal. Also, 13mpg? that's insane, mine has had mods that reduce mpg and I still get 17.9 mpg like clockwork. As for "popping out of gear" I have probably done 25 recoveries and that DID happen one time. I just put it back in gear. Some things you would not expect from a 30k? I agree, but it's a JEEP and that's why I got my X with 13,000miles, new lift and brand new 33's, power windows, Rubicon rock rails, and EVERY OPTION AVAILABLE on the X for $20,000

Quick Reply: Are Jeep's made from crap?