Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep won't start, antitheft engaged?

Old 04-08-2017, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep won't start, antitheft engaged?

First post, used the search for years, thanks, 2013 JK with manual transmission. Disconnected the battery to install a new clock spring and headlight. Hooked everything back up and it started and died about three times. Now it won't even turn over. Headlights work, winch, etc. battery seems strong, it started right up 3 times. Now you can turn the key and all the lights come on as normal but it won't turn over and the engine light is flashing. Could some sort of antitheft have been triggered? Is there a reset? Tried the battery disconnect for 30 minutes and tried pulling the IOD fuse for 30 as well, am totally stumped
Old 04-08-2017, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem and it was a dead WIN module. This is the module that checks the chip in the key and then allows the start if it matches. I also have a 2013 JK.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Could a someone with a diablosport disable the WIN?, just thinking ahead so I don't get stranded
Old 04-09-2017, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Pinch a wire?
Old 04-18-2017, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

I took it to the dealership, they said it was the skreem module, cost is 378, glad it was in my barn and not somewhere on the road,
it would be nice to have a standalone controller for the pentastar
Old 04-18-2017, 06:42 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike714
... Could some sort of antitheft have been triggered? ...
Just for future reference, there is an unlabeled red light next to the fuel gauge. That red light turns on if the antitheft system doesn't like your key. Reset by disconnecting and reconnecting battery. If that doesn't repair, as someone else mentioned, the WIN module could be the problem. Officially, this system is called the Security Key Immobilizer System. I expect that the WIN module and the part that the dealer changed for you are one and the same.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike714
I took it to the dealership, they said it was the skreem module, cost is 378, glad it was in my barn and not somewhere on the road, it would be nice to have a standalone controller for the pentastar
I just had some codes come on this. All sorts of dash lights came on. Restarted the jeep and the check engine light stayed on.

Codes u0141 u0168 and u0146. Maybe some others. Next morning the light was off and it has not come back on since. So Idk!!!

Quick Reply: Jeep won't start, antitheft engaged?