Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep Won't Start

Old 09-18-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will I had the wireless ignition module replaced ($500) and two weeks later I still have the no start issue ! Don't know what to do anymore , its a $500 bill every time I take it to the dealer. Is there someone higher on the food chain I can talk to?
Old 09-21-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Default Same issue but different!

Our 2008 Rubicon Unlimited with Auto just started a similar issue. Started with just a click and no start or turnover with dash lights on. Now it has progressed to a click and no dash/radio/interior lights at all. Intermittent. Of course it happened while my wife and kids were in it and I was out of town!
When I got home it started right up. I checked the battery before I left because I thought I heard a very slight "slowing" of the starter but could not nail down the problem seemed like the starter was drawing too much intermittently. Went from 12.5 volts down to 9 while cranking but would start right up. Alternator works fine even under full accessory load. 14+volts.
When I got back I checked the batterry and it was at 10.5 volts but still starting fine. My wife had it on a charger so I figured the problem was the battery not holding charge? (Autozone Duralast Gold which have lasted as much as 8 years for me in the past) Thought I had an easy solution... bad battery! I took the battery in to Autozone and they put it on a charger before testing. I went home, put in another good battery that I had from my 63 chevy and the truck. Started fine and then an hour later it would not start. Click then no lights (anywhere) and no start. The shift overide/neutral trick did not help. I hooked up a volt meter to the battery and all of the lights came on again and it started right up.
Turns out the battery was bad (1 year old!) so they replaced it at no charge.
Happened again with the used battery in it so I went to hook up jumper cables and as soon as I hooked up both cables to the Jeep (other ends on the ground still) all of the lights came on and it started!
Seems to reset itself as soon as I touch the battery terminals??? Weird. Could be the ground issue mentioned on a couple posts?

Still have the used batter in it today and it has started without issue on two trips 6 times since then last night and today.

One interesting thing. During one of the no start then start issues there was a lot of clicking and "movement" sound coming from under the jeep? Also the CD changer went bonkers and could not figure out what it wanted to do for about 60 seconds. Wondering if the sway bar disconnect was cycling? This happened every time I turned the key (about 6 times in a row without actually turning it all the way to "start)... Very strange. Did not do it again last night or today.

Any thoughts? Again, the issue happens with no power to the "cab" at all which is different than some of the threads I have seen. Most have a no start WITH lights, and some work with the neutral overide. Not ours...

BTW our driver's side airbag light came on recently also. Signed on to the NHTSB site hoping for a recall...
Old 09-23-2012, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having a similar problem here, link to video:

2007 Jeep JK Intermittent no start issue - YouTube

Very frustrating!

Description from YouTube:

"My 2007 Jeep JK (2-door Auto) has been doing this intermittently for about two months now -- suspiciously has started doing this since the battery was replaced by Advance Auto. Battery was replaced on July 19, 2012. It's probably done it at least a dozen times now. Very frustrating. Some days it starts right up, other days it's done it almost every time I've gone to start it. It will click and not turn over as shown in the video, for as many times as you try to crank it. And then once the key is removed and turned again, it usually (but not always) starts right up.

I've read on some of the Jeep forums that it could be a bad ground? I've cleaned the battery terminals to remove corrosion and used some dielectric grease.

Any other suggestions?"
Old 09-23-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by amt97

Very frustrating!

"My 2007 Jeep JK (2-door Auto) has been doing this intermittently for about two months now -- suspiciously has started doing this since the battery was replaced by Advance Auto. Battery was replaced on July 19, 2012. It's probably done it at least a dozen times now. Very frustrating. Some days it starts right up, other days it's done it almost every time I've gone to start it. It will click and not turn over as shown in the video, for as many times as you try to crank it. And then once the key is removed and turned again, it usually (but not always) starts right up.

I've read on some of the Jeep forums that it could be a bad ground? I've cleaned the battery terminals to remove corrosion and used some dielectric grease.

Any other suggestions?"
We are going through the same stuff brother! I have changed starters & batterys, it will do it every time I turn the key then it will go for a month or so starting just fine, back and forth. one word 'RECALL' would be nice!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Anytime I get a no start with my JK I put it into neutral and it starts right up. I have an 08 auto.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Default Same thing...

My 2010 Wrangler is doing the same thing. Try to start, just get a click. I've added a 4ga. ground cable from the battery to the alternator mounting bolt, and then from there to one of the starter bolts. No help. Does anybody know a way to check the range safety switch with a multimeter? I'd like to be sure that that's what it is before I take it to the stealer.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EHarris
Anytime I get a no start with my JK I put it into neutral and it starts right up. I have an 08 auto.
I shift mine from park to neutral a few times and it always starts up, might take a couple times but it always starts up!
Old 09-24-2012, 04:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by amt97

Very frustrating!

Any other suggestions?"
Wish I could help but I have the same problem. I have a new batt. new starter, 4 new grounding straps, new wireless control module, even put in a remote starter and it does it with that. If I ever figure it out ill millions.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

2008 JKUR with same problem. New battery and starter replaced under lifetime warranty. It's in the dealership now and will stay until they figure it out. I already paid my $100 deductible for the starter so the rest is on them. From the repair costs I have seen on this thread I am feeling pretty good about financing in another $2k for the warranty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

So i didnt read all 3 pages of this thread so i dnt knw if this was said already but this is very very comon its the neutral saftey switch. Pretty much from what i understand the jeep thinks its in gear. So doing one of two things until this problem isfixes by the dealer is, slap the shifter up and try starting it again or start it in neutral. i have an 07 auto and one day out of the blue it started and replacing the starter, battery and alternator does not help it so hopefully a recall is coming soon

Quick Reply: Jeep Won't Start