Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

jeep stalls in parking space

Old 08-17-2009, 09:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jeep stalls in parking space

i have been having trouble starting up my jeep i turn the key to crank & it turns-over but quickly stalls. lights, horn, radio, etc. everything else works during this stall out time.
the only way i can get the jeep going is to click the remote start, unlock the door, then insert the key in the ignition and crank---the jeep continues idling like normal.
i've been having this problem the last couple weeks and i notice it only happens when its hot--i live in the desert so, i should say, when the temperatures are above 95 degrees.
i haven't made any recent mods, nor have i dunked the jeep, nor am i experiencing any other problems------yet. i have no problems with the jeep once it gets running. it only happens when i try to start it when the weather is hot.
can someone help me. i know i should take it to stealership but if it's something simply i can fix, i will try.

thanks in advance for your help!

letty
marlettx
Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

The alarm / remote start brain box is bad. The ignition run circuit doesn't close properly until you press the Remote Start button.

If you have an aftermarket alarm, find where they cut the ignition wires and spliced in the alarm. Remove that splice and reconnect those wires back the OEM way and you should solve your problem.

Cheap made in china electronics always fail in the heat. Too bad no one offers an American made alarm.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

hi a/c guy

thanks for your response. the remote start i have came with the jeep from the stealership. would your solution still apply? furthermore, i can start it up normally (without the remote start) when it's been in the shade or during the cooler part of the day.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, if the dealer installed the unit. All aftermarket units splice in the same way.

BTW, the fact that it only happens when it is very hot outside and not when it is cool, confirms the brain box is probably bad.

I always watch the installer when adding an alarm so I can see where he makes the splices. I have had the same problem and it makes the fix very easy when you know right where to go.

When they replace the box, have them mount it lower under the dash where it is cooler. If they mounted it high under the hood or too close to the windshield, you will bake the new one as well.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks a/c guy! will check it out
Old 08-18-2009, 10:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

marlettx, if the remote start button is built in to the key, it is more than likely, factory (which is how mine is) and this shouldnt apply...

Old 08-18-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry to be the one to say it, but it is a JEEP>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 08-18-2009, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

yes, my remote looks like the one racer83l posted.
so what could be causing this then?

hohokom, lol you're right. it's a jeep thing.

please keep the ideas coming
Old 08-18-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hohokom
Sorry to be the one to say it, but it is a JEEP>>>>>>>>>>>>

nothing wrong with having the Jeep warm itself up in the winter to melt the ice of the plastic windows. I also have heated seats

And my Jeep is a Jeep.

to the OP, bring it to the dealer...... could very well be a computer issue
Old 08-18-2009, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

ok assistant service manager said he's never heard of this type of problem with the wrangler. he checked computer for bulletins but found none.

since i could not replicate the problem (of course) i will have to leave it in the morning and they will let it sit in the sun until it starts doing it again.

he did indicate another jeep brand vehicle experiences the same problem i'm having but stated that vehicle has a different type of ignition so he doesn't think the solution is the same.

help! has anyone had similar happen with their jeep? i suffer separation anxiety when away from my jeep and don't want to leave it sitting at stealership

Quick Reply: jeep stalls in parking space