Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep Soft Top Issues

Old 02-27-2020, 02:25 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

A little off topic but I’m tired of waisted $$ on soft tops, it seems that the zippers could be reinforced with better stitching, I bought one but the stitching started ripping on the side windows less than 3 year old...vendor sent me a warranted replacement and same thing is now happening. Also, My old 08 frame had a tether strap between the frame bars that broke loose which I think is part of reason why my Newer top on the back sags a bit. So I agree that the frame is tweaked somehow it can play into top not fitting properly.

Old 02-27-2020, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by hornetman
A little off topic but I’m tired of waisted $$ on soft tops, it seems that the zippers could be reinforced with better stitching, I bought one but the stitching started ripping on the side windows less than 3 year old...vendor sent me a warranted replacement and same thing is now happening. Also, My old 08 frame had a tether strap between the frame bars that broke loose which I think is part of reason why my Newer top on the back sags a bit. So I agree that the frame is tweaked somehow it can play into top not fitting properly.
What brand soft top? All I've run is soft tops and it seems the sides of the rear window opening get loose and the zippers skip teeth before I've had stitching come loose.

In regards to the tether strap- Quadratec has replacements and if you contact them with your JK forum membership they'll cut you 5% off and free shipping. You've just got to rivet the new one in. I bought a soft top where the straps were dry rotted and I ended up scrapping the while top for parts. Had I known that it could have been fixed for cheap, I would have done that and been able to turn a profit inon it vs just breaking even.

Quick Reply: Jeep Soft Top Issues