Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep Soft Top Issues

Old 02-24-2020, 06:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Soft Top Issues

Hey all, recently purchased a used 2017 premium soft top for my 2008 wrangler. Purchased with all hardware necessary. Once installed I noticed that the middle bow looks a little too high. Additionally, the seam at the back of the soft top does not match with the last bow. it’s a little too forward. Is this because of the year difference? Very confused on this, any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Do you have any pictures? 2dr vs 4dr? You've installed the new style door surrounds with the top, right?
Old 02-24-2020, 08:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Surely enough money left from the heist that you don't need to mess around with used tops!

Considering this is used, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that the center support is bent. Pictures would be helpful. The dimensions of the actual jeep did not change from the early years, so it's nothing to do with that. There's a logical explanation here.....somewhere.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Do you have any pictures? 2dr vs 4dr? You've installed the new style door surrounds with the top, right?
Yes, 2dr and I installed new door surrounds

Old 02-24-2020, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Surely enough money left from the heist that you don't need to mess around with used tops!

Considering this is used, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that the center support is bent. Pictures would be helpful. The dimensions of the actual jeep did not change from the early years, so it's nothing to do with that. There's a logical explanation here.....somewhere.
Got an insanely good deal on the top so thought it was worth it.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:19 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by D.B. Cooper
Got an insanely good deal on the top so thought it was worth it.
just goofin' on the name.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

just goofin' on the name.
My bad, any idea what my issue is?
Old 02-24-2020, 12:27 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

LOL, i guess your name really is D.B Cooper and not referencing the infamous DB Cooper that heisted a plane and then parachuted out.

I think you need to inspect the frame. I've had one where the middle support was bent a bit and the result was it sat a bit high. I don't value soft tops much so mine was just an old top I used for trail rides. I just hammered mine back to acceptable. Take a good look at it where it goes over the rear rollbar cross over. You should be able to tell if it looks like it's sitting weird or not. Snap some pictures. WHen you're looking at the doors, does that top sit right down to the door surrounds like it should, or is it arched up a bit?
Old 02-24-2020, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

LOL, i guess your name really is D.B Cooper and not referencing the infamous DB Cooper that heisted a plane and then parachuted out.

I think you need to inspect the frame. I've had one where the middle support was bent a bit and the result was it sat a bit high. I don't value soft tops much so mine was just an old top I used for trail rides. I just hammered mine back to acceptable. Take a good look at it where it goes over the rear rollbar cross over. You should be able to tell if it looks like it's sitting weird or not. Snap some pictures. WHen you're looking at the doors, does that top sit right down to the door surrounds like it should, or is it arched up a bit?
oh wow LOL I can't believe I didn't realize what you were talking about. Yeah I'm just referencing DB Cooper, would be a cool name though.

I'll take a more in-depth look at the frame and see what's going on.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Hey again, sorry I haven’t gotten back. It turns out the last bow of the soft top frame twisted 360 degrees and didn’t put tension on the soft top. Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Jeep Soft Top Issues