Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

jeep shudders (misfiring?) after shifting into gear

Old 06-18-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diiferent Jeep, Same issue

Just experienced the same symptoms on my 11 rubicon. 3rd gear on up produces a momentary studder after shifting with low RPM (even makes a fluttering noise). If I rev it up it does not happen. Looks like my 15 MPG average is gonna get worse. I would love to hear from someone who figured out the cause.

2.5 TeraFlex
35" Toyo Muds
Old 06-28-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jhedly
Just experienced the same symptoms on my 11 rubicon. 3rd gear on up produces a momentary studder after shifting with low RPM (even makes a fluttering noise). If I rev it up it does not happen. Looks like my 15 MPG average is gonna get worse. I would love to hear from someone who figured out the cause.

2.5 TeraFlex
35" Toyo Muds
Found a solution! Fresh gas! Problem went away as soon as I filled the tank with fresh gas. Must have gotten some $h!tty gas.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine still does this at times. It seems to be worse after driving around in 4lo for a while.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jhedly

Found a solution! Fresh gas! Problem went away as soon as I filled the tank with fresh gas. Must have gotten some $h!tty gas.
I had the same issue as the rest of you guys. My local dealer is pretty decent. After multiple trips they found it to be exactly that,crap gas. Apparently these motors are very sensitive to watery gas. They advised to stop getting gas at discount gas stations like Hess and SAMs. When I have this issue I use a water remover additive. Seems to clear up the problem quickly.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I replied in another thread that my 2011 does this occasionally, pretty sure it's a drive-by-wire flaw in the programming, or related to the flash for the slow O2 sensors. Mine usually only does it when cold, shifting at "low" rpm, or if the A/C is cranked and again at "low" (but higher because you have to give'r with the 3.8 & A/C lol) rpm.

It seems like the ECM isn't acknowledging throttle input, and/or pulling lot's of timing (no audible knock ever).

Ohh and I only buy shell gas.

Quick Reply: jeep shudders (misfiring?) after shifting into gear