Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

jeep shakes when i give it gas

Old 12-15-2010, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no aftermarket sparkplugs. Everything with my engine and suspension is stock. I've found out that when I shift from second to first gear slowing down and then give it gas it shakes even worse until i shift back to second.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this shaking feel similar to an engine misfire, or is it more a vibration in the transmission? Some of the descriptions here sound like clutch judder, which the JKs clutch is known for when the friction plates are cold. Clutch judder can also be an indication of worn friction materials and the clutch may be on the way out, even though it hasn't started badly slipping yet.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

A broken motor mount will cause that too. At least it did in a car I owned years back.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

That does sound like a motor mount issue in a way but I can't see a motor mount causing it to want to die. Does it do it all the time? Or is it sporadic? My guess is you have to bring it to a shop.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ace09
I don't know about death wobble but it just bogs down and loses power for a moment. Kinda like if u shifted from 1st to 4th.
Mine does this also... it feels like the tranny is going to fall out.
it did it a couple times within the first year, had the throw out barring replaced, thought that fixed it but last week it did it again. and when it does it it's not just after I shift, if i let off the gas completely then back on it (without changing gears) it will shake again.
almost like the clutch or something is out of ballance/sync till the revs get up again.
drive home, let it sit overnight and all is good for another few months (i hope).
Old 12-17-2010, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine hasn't done it in a few days. Although I'm sure it'll come back.

Specifically, the shifter shakes like crazy, and it feels like the tranny will fall out if I don't let off the gas, no matter how I try and correct it. The only thing that I've found that will stop it is to shift out of 1st into neutral or 2nd gear.

I'm literally under 150 miles until 36k miles, so I'm still debating whether or not to take it to the dealer and have them look at it because I don't want to have to possibly replace something that could've been under warranty.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dralphy
Mine hasn't done it in a few days. Although I'm sure it'll come back.

Specifically, the shifter shakes like crazy, and it feels like the tranny will fall out if I don't let off the gas, no matter how I try and correct it. The only thing that I've found that will stop it is to shift out of 1st into neutral or 2nd gear.

I'm literally under 150 miles until 36k miles, so I'm still debating whether or not to take it to the dealer and have them look at it because I don't want to have to possibly replace something that could've been under warranty.
Take it most defiantly! Then at lest you'll have it on record that there was a problem!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

These all describe why mine has done and mine going to the dealer on tues. for the tranny squeek an this issue also. I've only got 11,100 miles on my 09 so everything is still under warranty even the cluch, which I was told was only covered for 12000 miles. So hopefully both issues will be taken care of, I'll update when I get it back!
Old 12-20-2010, 05:50 AM
JK Newbie

Well another problem for the dealer to try an fix tomarrow! This weekend I went to take off a couple of different times and killed it! Lol, I'm pretty good at driving a stick!) I gave it the gas and let out on the clutch and it dies. I don't think it was gettig gas or didn't know I pushed the gas. He'll the thing will take off and go through the gears without ever touching the gas peddal so how do u kill it in first on level ground?thinking......
Old 12-20-2010, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Dayum, my 2010 is doing the same thing and I am only at 9985 km! Going to the dealership this afternoon for the 10000 km service and will talk to them about it today.

Quick Reply: jeep shakes when i give it gas