Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep purchased today, what's going on with these rims?

Old 02-26-2020, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Freedom21
Did you ever figure out what this was? Don't leave us hanging.
Sorry!! It's been a busy couple of weeks starting a new job so this unfortunately has taken a back seat.

So after speaking with the dealer and doing some research it just seems like this style of rim tends to do this. My brother has a Liberty and it has the same issue. I think it has something to do with the clear coat that is used for the chrome style rims. It seems to happen at some point to the rims it just sucks that it happened literally driving the Jeep off the lot.

One of the first mods I want to do is to lift and get 35s with nicer rims, so I'm not keeping these forever. The "corrosion" has seemed to basically stop where it was and hasnt gotten worse so that's good. I just don't think there is an effective solution to fix it so I'm just going to have to deal with it for a little.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The only solution for fixing it is to strip off the clear coat, machine the aluminum, then re-coat it. It's cost prohibitive. I looked into it for a set of wheels I had and ended up buying another set of wheels.

I'm sorry to say but the corrosion wouldn't have happened on the way home, it was there and potentially overlooked with the otherwise great condition of the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
Eric Rawson (02-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Jeep purchased today, what's going on with these rims?