Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep key

Old 02-27-2011, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
ok.. so how do you program a new chipped key if you have 2 working keys? I have 2 but want to get one for my gf.
Here is a thread I found that explains how to program the key:

http://www.*********.com/forum/f96/p...er-jk-1156474/
Old 02-27-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

From the owners manual:

Customer Key Programming If you have two valid Sentry Keys, you can program new Sentry Keys to the system by performing the following procedure:

Cut the additional Sentry Key Transponder blank(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder key code.

Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position for at least three seconds, but no longer than 15 seconds. Then, turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the first key.

Insert the second valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position within 15 seconds. After 10 seconds, a chime will sound. In addition, the Vehicle Security Light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the second key.

Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound. In addition, the Vehicle Security Light will stop flashing. To indicate that programming is complete, the Vehicle Security Light will turn on again for three seconds and then turn off.

The new Sentry Key is programmed. The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter will also be programmed during this procedure.

Repeat this procedure to program up to eight keys. If you do not have a programmed Sentry Key, contact your authorized dealer for details.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One verry big downside, If you buy a key from a website and take it to a dealer or locksmith for cutting, They mess the key up and your out $80 If you have the dealer do it they mess it up guess what its their key. Your only paying for a working key.

When cutting a key S*&T happens sometimes, Maybe 1 out of 20 double sided keys dont work because of one thing or another.

I use to do locksmith work and cut keys (not the walmart idiot proof machines) There are times when things just dont line up or something slips a tooth brakes on the cutting bit ect. We would NEVER cover a key that someone brought in.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought mine off ebay for $15 then went to dealership and got it programmed for $35. the only problem i had was the lock/unlock button. the thing is if you lock/unlock your door with a key, it will activate/de-activate your sentry. This was on my 07 unl. now i have 10 unl rubicon and haven't tried it.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:03 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Sinkic
Hey I looked at ikeyless.com and the keys cost $102 dollars roughly the same as the dealer with the wait
Look at their webname-they already know you're desparate and won't search further.
Way too much $ ....buy from someone else before you lose one as a spare.
I have 2 spares for the JK and am ordering a second spare for the WK
Old 03-02-2011, 04:08 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
If you had 2 keys, why did you go to the dealership of all places to cut it? Why not a hardware store?
Avoid a key getting f'd up by Pimply Billy and his worn out cutting machine at the hardware or big box store. Go to a reputable locksmith store and hold their balls while they do the cut...."I came here to get it done right" should only cost a buck or two more.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:10 AM
Former Member

It's the factory Jeep key with the chip in it, but blank straight metal... no grooves chiseled yet.

Search for "jeep key"... you'll find one.
search Jeep transponder key
Old 03-02-2011, 04:10 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by leenanj

How close does the chip key have to be to the vehicle?
What if you stored one under the hood somewhere, would that be to close?

I don't want to defeat my alarm by doing this.
It has to be right next to the ignition
Old 03-02-2011, 04:12 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
ok.. so how do you program a new chipped key if you have 2 working keys? I have 2 but want to get one for my gf.
Programming instructions are in your manual as well as posted in this forum
Old 03-02-2011, 04:14 AM
Former Member

Didn't know that. Scary!
Don't be afraid Luke....just follow the instructions or the dark side will win.

Quick Reply: Jeep key