Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep key

Old 02-17-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep key

Hey so I'm at school right now pissed of
Because I just noticed that I can't find my key. Does anyone know how much a new key is because I always want a spare for times like this.

Thanks j sinkic
Old 02-17-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Junkie

Jeeps need chip keys...the local stealership tried to charge me $110 for the chip key and $60 to program it. I bought the key online for $30 and then they still had to program it for me :( those stealerships rape you for every penny.

A mod that I did to get around this now tho...if you take off your panel beneath the steering wheel to access your steering column...you can zip tie your chip key next to the ignition so your jeep thinks there's a chip in the key and then just get 2 or 3 regular spare keys cut for $2 ish. It won't prevent theft then. But it solves the expensive key problem
Old 02-17-2011, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

ikeyless.com
Old 02-17-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I only got one key when I bought the jeep used. Instead of buying and additional key I purchased a factory remote start. Cost of remote start with 2 keys was right around $250. It was $83 to have it installed by the dealer. So for $333 I got 2 new keys and the remote start, my old key still functions just does not start my jeep. This was a better option for me. Just something to think about.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sringer
Jeeps need chip keys...the local stealership tried to charge me $110 for the chip key and $60 to program it. I bought the key online for $30 and then they still had to program it for me :( those stealerships rape you for every penny.

A mod that I did to get around this now tho...if you take off your panel beneath the steering wheel to access your steering column...you can zip tie your chip key next to the ignition so your jeep thinks there's a chip in the key and then just get 2 or 3 regular spare keys cut for $2 ish. It won't prevent theft then. But it solves the expensive key problem
Where online did you get the key? I much rather pay 90 dollars then 170

Thanks
Old 02-17-2011, 03:41 PM
JK Junkie

It's reasons like this I want a third spare key, so I can program my own keys without having to go back to the dealer.

If you had two keys you can program a third key. With only one (or no) keys you are forced to visit your dealership and pay them to program your key.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Stkman252
ikeyless.com
Hey I looked at ikeyless.com and the keys cost $102 dollars roughly the same as the dealer with the wait
Old 02-17-2011, 03:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Sinkic
Hey I looked at ikeyless.com and the keys cost $102 dollars roughly the same as the dealer with the wait
I know I would have hesitations of buying them from eBay, but I've seen them for pretty cheap on their. If you could find a reputable seller, it might be a good way to save some money.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Has anybody tried this program it seam alot better than super chip an will also program your keys as well (http://www.autoenginuity.com/products.html) a little pricey but seam to do more.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sringer
Jeeps need chip keys..

How close does the chip key have to be to the vehicle?
What if you stored one under the hood somewhere, would that be to close?

I don't want to defeat my alarm by doing this.

Quick Reply: Jeep key