Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep JK completely slipping on 2H but not on 4WD H

Old 11-22-2015, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep JK completely slipping on 2H but not on 4WD H

My 2008 automatic Jeep JK started skipping and sounded like the rear differential was going metal to metal, now it's at the point where you just hear metal when I put it in done on 2H but I put it in 4WD H and runs like nothings wrong with and no noise at all in the rear, I can see the rear driveshaft move when in 4WD anyone have no clue what could be wrong with it? My buddy thought it was the rear differential but I don't think its messed up since it works perfectly fine when 4WD is engaged so in thinking the transfer case might be bad everything in my Jeep is stock my transmission is still running like new had it put in about 40k miles ago! BTW my 2008 JK unlimited just hit the 300k mile mark. Planning to drive it to the dealer as soon as they open tomorrow morning

Last edited by Old Jeep; 11-22-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Jeep
My 2008 automatic Jeep JK started skipping and sounded like the rear differential was going metal to metal, now it's at the point where you just hear metal when I put it in done on 2H but I put it in 4WD H and runs like nothings wrong with and no noise at all in the rear, I can see the rear driveshaft move when in 4WD anyone have no clue what could be wrong with it? My buddy thought it was the rear differential but I don't think its messed up since it works perfectly fine when 4WD is engaged so in thinking the transfer case might be bad everything in my Jeep is stock my transmission is still running like new had it put in about 40k miles ago! BTW my 2008 JK unlimited just hit the 300k mile mark. Planning to drive it to the dealer as soon as they open tomorrow morning
Sounds like a diff for sure 300 is a lot of miles your lucky it lasted that long. Dealership going to charge a lot if it is, I would find a shop near you.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Lomax-dtl
Sounds like a diff for sure 300 is a lot of miles your lucky it lasted that long. Dealership going to charge a lot if it is, I would find a shop near you.
LuckilyI still have the lifetime powertrain warranty coverage and lifetime maxcare service contract so hopefully no out of pocket expense for me, I still think it might not be the diff since I drove it around with no issues on 4WD and it didn't make a single noise but theirs a good chance it could be the diff hopefully my dealership gets to work on it quickly so I can have my Jeep back, luckily it didn't give me any problems driving from Dallas to Los Angeles and back and its right down the street from my dealer. Yup 300ks allot and before this it was still running like new
Old 11-22-2015, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Certainly keep this updated for those of us who plan to join you at 300k miles. Transmission was replaced 40k ago? Have you checked since then to make sure the fluid is at the right level in the transfer case?
Old 11-22-2015, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

No but I should check it just to be safe, don't wanna get warranty denied because of it. I checked it a while back and oil still looked brand new!
Old 11-23-2015, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Certainly keep this updated for those of us who plan to join you at 300k miles. Transmission was replaced 40k ago? Have you checked since then to make sure the fluid is at the right level in the transfer case?
Took it to the dealer this morning and the service advisor is pretty sure it's a stripped pinion gear so I'm guessing the actual differential is still good they just need to replace the pinion gear
Old 11-23-2015, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Gotta love that lifetime powertrain warranty....
Old 11-23-2015, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by captainstabbin
Gotta love that lifetime powertrain warranty....
No kidding just spoke to the service advisor and they actually have to order about $1600 in parts so guess their overhauling the differential, I'm glad I listened to the guy that sold me the Jeep and never really do any maintenance except for engine oil changes. Cause that differential has gone up 100k without a single oil change luckily it made it to 300k and other components still have the factory fluid but they still fix it and don't deny the warranty because of lack of maintenance! Been saving allot of money by not changing out any oils lol that's why my Jeeps made it to over 300k miles
Old 11-24-2015, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Had my tranny done by the dealer ship last month. No cost to me. I let the dealership do most of the oil changes and transmission flushes. That way no bullshit about them not honoring the warranty..
Old 11-25-2015, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

People Knock the Maxcare but here is a perfect reason to pony up and get the dam thing if your not modding to high heaven.

Quick Reply: Jeep JK completely slipping on 2H but not on 4WD H