Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep jk 6 speed stumped with noise from acceleration

Old 04-01-2014, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep jk 6 speed stumped with noise from acceleration

i have had my jeep in 3 times to 3 different mechanics and none of them knew what the problem was. when i take off in first everything is great clutch is out and as soon as i hit the gas i get this squeak sound, but it only happens after i'm done shifting so it doesn't have to do with my clutch i feel. and its the same all the way up but you here it more so in the 1 through 4 gears. everything seems to be tights and nothing and its not a rattling noise either. hopefully someone can help its been bugging me for the past year.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zack_89
i have had my jeep in 3 times to 3 different mechanics and none of them knew what the problem was. when i take off in first everything is great clutch is out and as soon as i hit the gas i get this squeak sound, but it only happens after i'm done shifting so it doesn't have to do with my clutch i feel. and its the same all the way up but you here it more so in the 1 through 4 gears. everything seems to be tights and nothing and its not a rattling noise either. hopefully someone can help its been bugging me for the past year.
This " squeak" is it only when you have the accelerator pressed? And when you let off it goes away till it's reapplied while in gear?
Old 04-02-2014, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

mine does this as well. First thru forth. Can't tell

If it's coming from dash or under shifter boot
Old 04-02-2014, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try changing trains fluid. Maybe it's bad syncros?
Old 04-02-2014, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

and its like when i hit the gas pedal the let it go, if i keep doing that i can get it to makes a cricket like noise. it just sounds really sloppy and lose. and i changed it about 15000km ago so its fairly new

Last edited by zack_89; 04-02-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your heat shields, especially near the firewall. When you're accelerating, your engine twists slightly in it's mounts. If you don't have enough clearance, they can rub on other things and make all sorts of weird noises.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it do it when you accelerate and not shifting. If you just accelerate in third, will it squeak? If you're idling and step on the gas?
If so, could also be your belt.
Squeaks are a bitch to find.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

ill check my heat shields around the firewall this weekend. i can stay in third gear not shift hit the gas let of hit the gas let off and it will make that noise its does it and every gear at lower speeds that i can here. and if i am at idle and not moving i cant get it to make that noise lol.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ill check my heat shields around the firewall this weekend. i can stay in third gear not shift hit the gas let of hit the gas let off and it will make that noise its does it and every gear at lower speeds that i can here. and if i am at idle and not moving i cant get it to make that noise lol.
sounds like it could be your belt or a pulley bearing.
I was getting a similar noise and it was my water pump.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

i had the same symptoms on my 07.. a squeak or chirp when i hit the gas or shifted... turned out to be that on of the rear control arm nuts had loosened up & the L shaped washer had rotated and was metal to metal with the control arm chirping away.

Quick Reply: Jeep jk 6 speed stumped with noise from acceleration