Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep has a "fix" for death wobble

Old 08-12-2019, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeep has a "fix" for death wobble

Saw this on Fox News https://www.foxnews.com/auto/jeep-wr...ath-wobble-fix
Jeep says it will be a FREE fix
Old 08-12-2019, 03:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Have they said what particular years the guidance is for?
Old 08-12-2019, 04:13 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

"The Detroit Free Press reports that Jeep has tracked the issue on the latest generation of the Wrangler -- known as the JL – to the steering damper. The chief technical compliance officer, Mark Chernoby, told the paper that a design flaw allowed air to get in at cold temperatures, reducing vibration control at certain frequencies."

That is the biggest EFFING joke I have ever seen. Yup, it's the SS for sure. I guess it only applies to the JL. Well phew, now we know the cause of DW.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Well my 2012 I'd stick as far as suspension and tire size is concerned. I've put 107,000 miles on it and never once had death wobble. So.... are people having death wobble on unmolested wranglers?
Old 08-12-2019, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

Angry

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Have they said what particular years the guidance is for?
I think they mostly refer to the JL...but what a joke. THis has been a problem clear back to the TJ...and maybe before
Old 08-13-2019, 06:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

So.... are people having death wobble on unmolested wranglers?
That is the real rub IMO. People with stock vehicles that don't offroad are prone to DW as well....albeit usually on older higher mileage vehicles. The reason behind this is MOST DW is relate to TB (worn joint/bushing or loose bolts) and ball joints. The ball joints on these things are what they are. Age and miles cause BJs to be a normal wear item. Once BJs crap out, a solid jolt can then start to get other worn components to take that final dive off the cliff and boom, wobble wobble wobble. IMO, it's even more dangerous in this situation cuz the people it happens to have no clue what's going on, have never heard of DW, and feel like the pits of hell are opening up. At least with a modified vehicle people have typically heard of DW and have a clue what's happening.

I don't buy this JL issue at all. Air in the steering stabilizer. PALEEEEEZE. They should know damn well you can pull that SS off and not even tell it's missing. I have some hot sports opinions about litebrite as well, but I'll keep em to myself as I suspect the OP may be friendly with em due to name and location.

**I'd clarify my stock vehicle comment by saying I know I'm talking about older vehicles, and a JL isn't falling in this category....i just think there's being pressure put on to explain away the cause of wobble and they have to have something to point to.

Last edited by resharp001; 08-13-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:54 PM
JK Junkie

This article is a joke. I was reading today and it’s basically just a way for Jeep to try and tell people they are fixing it without admitting that they still don’t know what the issue is, despite people telling them what it is for years. They tried to blame it on aftermarket parts, not true (they are actually the fix), this that and everything and still don’t have the real reason. There supposed fix is actually a bandaid for the real issue and is actually not even needed if everything is setup correctly.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Well my 2012 I'd stick as far as suspension and tire size is concerned. I've put 107,000 miles on it and never once had death wobble. So.... are people having death wobble on unmolested wranglers?
I had death wobble on my JK one time before I did any modifications. My entire ride to and from work as soon as I reached a speed of 45MPH it would violently start to shake. At the time my tire pressure light was on, so on my way home I decided to stop off and get my tires filled, figuring it was worth a try and if that didn't do anything I would do further inspections. However, filling my tires with proper air pressure all the way around seemed to have fixed the problem and I never experienced it again after that.

A buddy of mine who works with FCA and owns a JL told me FCA has been having a lot of complaints about death wobble on the JL. He decided to upgrade his JL with SteerSmarts front steering components after he lifted it with the Mopar lift, and installed 37s and said he hasn't experienced it. Unsure about the reasons he decided to upgrade his front steering components but he seems to think larger tires with weak stock steering components is the cause of DW, and that is the reason he hasn't experienced it.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-14-2019 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I love wranglers, but tbh, this is not a vehicle I'd want any of my family members driving, and most of that concern revolves around steering and wobble potential.

Quick Reply: Jeep has a "fix" for death wobble