Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep at Dealer For Oil Change/Fender Liner Recall/SuperChips Flash?

Old 07-16-2010, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep at Dealer For Oil Change/Fender Liner Recall/SuperChips Flash?

Just dropped off for 'Night Service' (pick up tomorrow AM)

My 2010 Unlimited Sport is ready for it's 2nd free oil change (9k miles)

Also wrote on the service order:

- Rear doors/tail gate rattle really bad (removed tape on the latches prior to drop off)
-Recall for Front fender liners rubbing brake lines? (Service Mgr already said 'false alarm')

Left my Superchips 87 Octane flash install...didn't back out to default

Curious to see if the dealer will notice...JEEP only told me once upon startup last Sunday, that it was due for a oil change...have seen the MIL since

BTW, the coupons I got for free oil changes states it only covers $20...we all know that is a fairy tale what our JEEP dealers now charge for a oil/filter change

Updates to follow
Old 07-16-2010, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default What a deal

My Jeep dealer sent me a coupon today for a special $59.95 oil change. But it did include a Mopar oil filter, LOL.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

you really should go flash back to stock. if they flash your comp you gonna have to pay to get your superchip working again.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Holyroller
My Jeep dealer sent me a coupon today for a special $59.95 oil change. But it did include a Mopar oil filter, LOL.
Hey:

Do you have a new 2010?

I got a fairly thick envelope in the mail about 3 months after I bought my JEEP late November 2009...had about 12 coupons for free oil changes with a BIG DISCLAIMER:

Valid for $20

JEEP was giving out free oil changes for 36K miles when I bought back then...I still get mailings for the 'OIL CHANGE SPECIALS' that I just recycle
Old 07-16-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Brashanic
you really should go flash back to stock. if they flash your comp you gonna have to pay to get your superchip working again.
Explain please...I'm under the impression a flash is a flash, if they over write what I flashed, I over write what they flashed, with my SC's 87 Octane program...its not like I left some hardware under the dash that they will hack and purge

So...this begs the question: when a dealer does a oil change...do they access the computer to refresh...especially when they start my JEEP to pull it into the bay, and there are no MILs? I find it hard to believe some tech doing just a oil change is gonna plug into the diag port...though I could be wrong.

I have a good working relationship with this dealer...they've always admired the after market parts I've installed on the 6 vehicles I've bought from them since the 90s...we shall see!

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by MACE24; 07-16-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that Flashpaq is like they have been in the past, and like other programmers, it now has your stock program (along with the other available programs). It may not have the program that is now in the Jeep.

So, when the Jeep gets overwritten, you now have 2 stock programs and not the one that was there.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Alec
If that Flashpaq is like they have been in the past, and like other programmers, it now has your stock program (along with the other available programs). It may not have the program that is now in the Jeep.

So, when the Jeep gets overwritten, you now have 2 stock programs and not the one that was there.
My flashpaq had stored the factory default,prior to loading the 87 Octane flash about 6 weeks ago

I really DO NOT believe the dealer will flash a new program from a service order that called just for a Oil Change!

I will be silent when I pick up the JEEP tomorrow and see if they bitch and moan about me screwing around and changing the program...me thinks not!

1st thing I'm gonna do when I get home, is plug the flashpaq into my PC to see if there is a update, and then plug into my JEEP's diag port ...and take it from there
Old 07-16-2010, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MACE24
Explain please...I'm under the impression a flash is a flash, if they over write what I flashed, I over write what they flashed, with my SC's 87 Octane program...its not like I left some hardware under the dash that they will hack and purge

So...this begs the question: when a dealer does a oil change...do they access the computer to refresh...especially when they start my JEEP to pull it into the bay, and there are no MILs? I find it hard to believe some tech doing just a oil change is gonna plug into the diag port...though I could be wrong.

I have a good working relationship with this dealer...they've always admired the after market parts I've installed on the 6 vehicles I've bought from them since the 90s...we shall see!

Thanks in advance...
the dealer will flash automaticlly if an update is availble, if they overwrite the superchip it will not recognize your jeep when you go to download again. i think superchip charges $100.00 to unlock it. look at the directions they tell you to return to factory settings every time you take it to the dealer.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

What happened with the liner rubbing brake line? Did you get a recall notice? What did you mean by false alarm? The reason I ask is because on my 2008 x the liner has wore a groove in my brake line. I haven't recieved any notice yet.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by eric71
What happened with the liner rubbing brake line? Did you get a recall notice? What did you mean by false alarm? The reason I ask is because on my 2008 x the liner has wore a groove in my brake line. I haven't recieved any notice yet.
Never got a recall but read about it on multiple web sites... believe it was on CNN and NHTSA but haven't seen a reference to it since

Will post a update tomorrow after I speak with the Service Mgr and what they did from my work order (did mention this "recall") after I pick up my JEEP

Quick Reply: Jeep at Dealer For Oil Change/Fender Liner Recall/SuperChips Flash?