Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep Broken Into

Old 03-29-2008, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Broken Into

Folks...
I've been quiet for several months, mostly due to moving and buying a house (which means not much $$$ for the JK).

Anyway...My wife was at the gym this evening and came out to find our front passenger window was shattered and someone broke in and stole a few items. Not much, an XM radio, our visor thing that held insurance/registration info, etc.

Has anyone had to replace this window? What was your cost. Trying to figure out if we need to go through insurance or not.

Thanks JK Family!

Brian
Old 03-29-2008, 09:14 PM
JK Freak

I can't help with the window; but some one needs some broken knee's...
Old 03-29-2008, 09:40 PM
JK Junkie

It would depend on what your insurance deductable would be...For me it wouldnt be cost effective bcoz my deductable is $500. I did an internet search and found a site that was selling a replacement glass ~ $70..You could probably save in labor cost if you did the install yourself...Search the thread for power windows it has a write up on taking out the door panels...Hope this helps...Good luck...

If you want the exact site I found the glass, let me know & I can PM you as the company is not a sponsor here...

Last edited by aldaman; 03-29-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:57 AM
JK Newbie

Why would someone steel a XM radio when its totally useless to them
Old 03-30-2008, 01:47 AM
JK Jedi

That sucks, hope the repair goes quick and easy!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by KiltedJK
... someone broke in and stole ... our visor thing that held insurance/registration info, etc.
I would be worried about this. Let your insurance agent know--they might be planning some type of insurance fraud against your policy. And I'd take steps to satisfy myself that my JK parked at home, and that my home were properly secured against criminal activity.

If there was anything else that you kept in there that might be useful for identity theft (e.g., something with your social security number on it), I'd also take precautions about that. Talk to the investigating officer: Find out if there has been a history of these types of thefts followed by other criminal activity against the victims.

Years ago in California it used to be required that the vehicle registration had to be visible through the vehicle windshield. The state changed the law because thieves would hang around movie theaters, etc, check the registrations, then go rob the homes, confident that no one would be home for a couple hours. This sounds like it could be a new version of that.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:27 AM
JK Newbie

Why did you have doors on?

Sorry to hear about the break in, hope your insurance company treats you right.

The one time I had a break in.. wasn't REALLY a break in. The doors were off.. Some yahoo got in and took a couple nickels I had in my cup holder. He didn't even try to get into the center console, which is VERY easy to break into by the way, I'll be putting a Tuffy there when they finally make one that I like.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Why would someone steel a XM radio when its totally useless to them
I'm pretty positive it was a bunch of punk kids that don't know their a$$ from anything. I already called XM and had them cancel and flag it as stolen so that's taken care off.

I would be worried about this. Let your insurance agent know--they might be planning some type of insurance fraud against your policy. And I'd take steps to satisfy myself that my JK parked at home, and that my home were properly secured against criminal activity....
Yeah, this had us a little worried too. Nothing in there with SS# or anything, just name and address. Oh, and they got the garage door opener. Changed the code on that. House is alarmed so that's good.

I've already been quoted $170 to have someone come out and fix it. Deductable is $250 so I won't be filing a claim. This just more pi$$es me off more than anything. Kind of wish it was warm and sunny out yesterday (oh wait, I live in Portland) so I had the doors off and would have put the XM away.

Thanks all for the responses. Greatly appreciated.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that sucks i'm sorry to hear that it looks like i'll be putting my iPod away alot more.. thats really the only thing they could take is the ipod and the charger... or my spare but nobody wants that pizza cutter...
Old 03-30-2008, 11:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by KiltedJK
I'm pretty positive it was a bunch of punk kids that don't know their a$$ from anything. I already called XM and had them cancel and flag it as stolen so that's taken care off.

Yeah, this had us a little worried too. Nothing in there with SS# or anything, just name and address. Oh, and they got the garage door opener. Changed the code on that. House is alarmed so that's good.

I've already been quoted $170 to have someone come out and fix it. Deductable is $250 so I won't be filing a claim. This just more pi$$es me off more than anything. Kind of wish it was warm and sunny out yesterday (oh wait, I live in Portland) so I had the doors off and would have put the XM away.

Thanks all for the responses. Greatly appreciated.
PM'd you on the site where I found the glass for ~ $70....

Good luck....

Quick Reply: Jeep Broken Into