Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jasper reman 3.8???

Old 01-06-2011, 02:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SOuLO
First off thanks for all the replies people and giving me some great info here. The reason I am asking if this is a good option for a motor is because I just bought this jeep so the dealer is installing the motor at their cost. I just want to know if I am getting lucky, as in getting a 0 miles motor that I know the history of or should i possibly try to move on since I belevie I can probably give the jeep back with no issues since I only owned it for three weeks and this was an issue from the start. Also take in account that I am in Kansas and we have the lemon law so I beleive if they fix it and I have the issue again I can return the jeep with no issues as well. As for every other aspect of the jeep its great and exactly what I was looking for even the color just want to make sure i am getting a good deal.
As far as I remember from literature at shop I used to work @ Jasper will warranty motor for 3 yrs/ 36,000 mis, so if dealer is going to do it & pay for it you should be good to go. Jasper races cars with their rebuilt motors & trannys as well!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To protect themselves from excessive warranty claims (considering they're using blocks and components that already have considerable miles on them) most engine remanufacturers use heavier-duty, higher quality parts than are used in the original mass-produced motors from the factory.

I replaced a blown motor some years ago with a remanufactured one from, by the sounds of it, the equivalent of Jasper where I am and it ran like new for another 100K miles unitl I sold it. When I was in their shop doing the paperwork I had a look at a display they had where they had all the components that they replace in the rebuild (rings, valve springs, cam & crankshaft bearings, oil pump internals, etc) side-by-side with the OEM ones and you could just tell by looking at them that the replacement parts were of far higher quality; the accompanting spec sheet confirmed this. For example they used high-strength tempered steel bolts for the bearing shells to avoid stretching and associated bearing distortion at high RPMs, beefier valve springs, high quality lead-containing crank bearings (which these days are only used for heavy-duty applications such as diesels) heavy duty oil-pump internals, etc.

When I asked the tech about it he replied that they simply can't afford many warranty claims as they run on slim-enough margins as it is so they'd rather spend an extra 20 or 30% on high-grade components than run the risk of increased warranty claims and associated damage to their reputation in a fairly cut-throat market. And yeah, they weren't the cheapest by a long shot but they were well-built, heavy-duty motors.

Last edited by JKlad; 01-06-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

As long as the Jasper reman engine comes with a warranty (either from Jasper, or the dealership that is installing it), I would say go with the Jasper.

Anthony
Old 01-06-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

years ago I bought a cadillac deville with the infamous HT-4100 engine in it.. the engine died under used dealer warranty.. the dealer put a jasper engine in it.. I drove that cadi 5 years and 100,000 miles on the jasper.. sold it to a friend who still has it with well over 250,000 miles on the jasper and sounds just as quiet as the day it was installed....

-Christopher
Old 01-06-2011, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

Go Jasper and don't worry
Old 01-06-2011, 07:17 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I just talked to a Jasper tech rep.
He said they have not had a 2007 or newer Jeep Wrangler 3.8 come through yet.
I was hoping they would have some insight as to what is going wrong with these engine that have high oil consumption.

Their basic price for the rebuilt 3.8 was quoted at around $3,000.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by The_Yeti
by chance did you buy this jeep in olathe?
No I did not it was purchased in Mcpherson. I really have to say that they have been really great through this whole process. I mean shit happens but at least they stepped it up and are making this right without any questions asked.

Last edited by SOuLO; 01-07-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I was hoping they would have some insight as to what is going wrong with these engine that have high oil consumption.

This is good news to hear. I have heard many good things about Jasper now that I have done alot of research and seems to be a very good company with a great product and a great warranty.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks To All

Thanks for all the replies with all the great info, I sure love this place . From the replies I have been getting it has made me feel alot better about the road i am taking and thinking it has happened for a reason and was good luck that brought this upon me. The motor from Jasper arrives monday the 10th and will hopefully be installed and ready for pickup by thursday or friday. I plan on creating a new thread once this motor is installed to track the pros and cons and any issues, knock on wood, that shall arrise from the jasper motor so that anyone wanting to go down the same road in the future can check it out.

Cheers
Old 01-06-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx

hmmm....for $3,000 I think I may end up having to go this route too, if they tell me mine is as bad as I think it is on the oil consumption. That is, after I drive it, keeping the oil full of course, until it just starts taking so much that oil costs me more per mile than gas, and I can scrounge up enough change to pay for one. I guess once it goes, I'll be unleashing the big F350 Diesel, which, by the way, also has 86,000 on it, and doesn't burn a DROP of oil in 7500 miles...and diesels are KNOWN to be oil burners. Well...except for fuel oil...LOL...it burns quite a few drops of that.

Quick Reply: Jasper reman 3.8???