Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

It's official. Getting a new head in a 2014

Old 11-17-2015, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's official. Getting a new head in a 2014

So I posted not too long ago regarding my 2014 tossing cyl 6 misfire codes and ticking for a bit. Started around 22k miles.

Dropped the Jeep off on Saturday as it was a perfect time since I was heading out of town. Well, got the call today that they're tossing on a new left side head. I should be able to snag it on Friday so I'll get more details on it then. I was really hoping the kinks were worked out by now but eh, it's a new head I suppose.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow. I thought they'd have the kinks worked out of that motor by now.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Uneasy Rider
Wow. I thought they'd have the kinks worked out of that motor by now.

So did I. After reading, it looked like cyl 2 and/or 4 was the culprit. Mine was 6. Super wild.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2012 just went in today to have the head replaced after I got the p0302(cylinder #2 misfire) code last week.My engine is sitting at 35k miles.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

Well, dealer had it a week. I got dropped off there around noon because my buddy had to go to work. Says it should be good to go at most in 2 hours. Cool.

At 3:15, service advisor told me it's worse now. Making all kinds of ruckus apparently. So they tossed me a rental until whenever.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

I don't have a light but the drivers side make a rattling noise like a diesel trying to take off in 5th gear. I can only hear it from 1000-2000 RPM under light acceleration. It's obvious that it's rockers/valves. I've always had the tick but at 32,000 miles it just became more concerning. Does it have to give a light for them to fix it or will they based off the noise? My warranty extension paper says, if I don't experience this condition (misfire code) then the left cylinder head is operating correctly and no repair is necessary.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PANDA50
I don't have a light but the drivers side make a rattling noise like a diesel trying to take off in 5th gear. I can only hear it from 1000-2000 RPM under light acceleration. It's obvious that it's rockers/valves. I've always had the tick but at 32,000 miles it just became more concerning. Does it have to give a light for them to fix it or will they based off the noise? My warranty extension paper says, if I don't experience this condition (misfire code) then the left cylinder head is operating correctly and no repair is necessary.
The dealership I'm working with now has been great and other locals who've had the head replaced only did after getting the light. I'm told they were told to return when they get the light. Kind of shady since it seems relatively well known.

As an update to mine, I pick it up tomorrow. Apparently a spring in the cam phaser ???? Had popped out during the head assembly.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 2012 did the same thing. I took it to the dealership, they saw the code and a week later my Jeep had a new head. Zero problem from the dealership. I would think they are all aware of the problem by now and my dealership gave me no problem whatsoever.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by urmyboyblue
The dealership I'm working with now has been great and other locals who've had the head replaced only did after getting the light. I'm told they were told to return when they get the light. Kind of shady since it seems relatively well known.

As an update to mine, I pick it up tomorrow. Apparently a spring in the cam phaser ???? Had popped out during the head assembly.
I want a Jeep with Phasers!!
Old 12-01-2015, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo

I want a Jeep with Phasers!!
HAHAHA!!!! Is it too much to ask for a frikkin Jeep with frikken phasers on its heads!?!?!

Quick Reply: It's official. Getting a new head in a 2014