Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Irregular treadwear??? Help!!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exact same problem when I put rubi tires on my X. I was not rotating. Just put it off because I could do it easy enough I just didn't. My left front was trashed with that cupping an is now my spare. Rotate every 3k to 4k is what I'm doing now. Also shopping for another set of tires. Mine have about 6 months maybe now.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SiXeVeN
My Rubi is destroying my tires!!! I got a stock suspension setup with stock BFGs. Here's the rub....

My front tires are developing a scalloped (cupped) appearance on the tread blocks which make them LOUD as hell and vibrate like mad. I had the alignment checked and the wheels balanced but nothing was out of spec.

The dealer and tire place both said the supension is fine (no damage from my offroad missions )

What gives... At this rate I will have to replace my tires at 19,000 miles!!!

One other clue.... There is a metallic clank that can be occationally heard from the left front suspension. It sounds like it is just under the footwell? Oddly, It only happens when the tire UNweights. Like when it falls into a dip or pothole. I have been all over the suspension myself and can find nothing loose or out of position but I really don't know what i'm looking for. I have to imagine that whatever it is is playing a role in this tire issue.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Mine does the same thing. I was bad about rotating. Had to buy 2 new ones for the front. Now I'm better about rotating.

Quick Reply: Irregular treadwear??? Help!!