Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Irregular treadwear??? Help!!

Old 08-20-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Irregular treadwear??? Help!!

My Rubi is destroying my tires!!! I got a stock suspension setup with stock BFGs. Here's the rub....

My front tires are developing a scalloped (cupped) appearance on the tread blocks which make them LOUD as hell and vibrate like mad. I had the alignment checked and the wheels balanced but nothing was out of spec.

The dealer and tire place both said the supension is fine (no damage from my offroad missions )

What gives... At this rate I will have to replace my tires at 19,000 miles!!!

One other clue.... There is a metallic clank that can be occationally heard from the left front suspension. It sounds like it is just under the footwell? Oddly, It only happens when the tire UNweights. Like when it falls into a dip or pothole. I have been all over the suspension myself and can find nothing loose or out of position but I really don't know what i'm looking for. I have to imagine that whatever it is is playing a role in this tire issue.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by SiXeVeN; 08-20-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SiXeVeN
My Rubi is destroying my tires!!! I got a stock suspension setup with stock BFGs. Here's the rub....

My front tires are developing a scalloped (cupped) appearance on the tread blocks which make them LOUD as hell and vibrate like mad. I had the alignment checked and the wheels balanced but nothing was out of spec.

The dealer and tire place both said the supension is fine (no damage from my offroad missions )

What gives... At this rate I will have to replace my tires at 19,000 miles!!!

One other clue.... There is a metallic clank that can be occationally heard from the left front suspension. It sounds like it is just under the footwell? Oddly, It only happens when the tire UNweights. Like when it falls into a dip or pothole. I have been all over the suspension myself and can find nothing loose or out of position but I really don't know what i'm looking for. I have to imagine that whatever it is is playing a role in this tire issue.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Have you been rotating your tires? Also check your upper and lower shock bolts, the upper mounts on the front have been known to be missing a bushing or having a bad one crumble.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Also, pm Redneckjeep, he was an alighnment guy for 20 somethin years.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not just an air-pressure issue???
Old 08-20-2009, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Aye!

1. Tire Pressure
2. Tire Rotation
3. Tire Balance
4. Match Mounting (High Point/Low Point Tire and Wheel Matching)
5. Shocks

All of the above are key factors in Tire Wear! If they're cupping badly, then you're gonna need to replace them. Sorry!

Cheers!

BB
Old 08-20-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

check your upper and lower shock bolts
I'll check the shock mount again. I thought about the bushing before but maybe I should unbolt it, inspect it, and retorque and see if that helps.

Not just an air-pressure issue
The tire pressure has been spot on.

I wanted to upgrade to some bigger meats but not with this tire wear issue. I do not want to be burning through 300+ dollar tires in less than 20k miles!

I still think something is loose, broken, mis-torqued, bent, etc up front. It drives fine but the tires are NOT happy.

BTW the metallic clank sounds like a large bolt inside an ammo can banging around....except it only bangs once. Kind of similar if you threw a heavy bolt against a thick piece of plate steel. NOT a happy sound.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

If they're cupping badly, then you're gonna need to replace them
That's what I suspected but not what I wantd to hear.

They are cupped badly enough that the front (leading edge) of the tread block is about 1/2" - 3/8" higher than the rear (trailing edge) of the tread block.

And as I mentioned... It is only on the front! The backs are wearing perfectly.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How often do you rotate?
Old 08-20-2009, 07:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by dunemobbin
How often do you rotate?
What I was thinkin.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the tire pressure you are running?

Quick Reply: Irregular treadwear??? Help!!