Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Internal Pics of Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect Anyone?

Old 12-16-2017, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The "gear" on the end of each shaft prevents the shafts from sliding out. The gears don't move. A sleeve, with internal teeth to match those on the gears, slides from being completely on one gear, to being on both gears, thus locking them together.

So apparently what happened with mine is that the shaft on the passenger side slid out from the gear. Is the gear just pressed on?
Old 12-16-2017, 04:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by eastforku
So apparently what happened with mine is that the shaft on the passenger side slid out from the gear. Is the gear just pressed on?
It looks to me to be a shrink fit. Those can be very tight when sized correctly.
Or, it could be welded on the blind side of the gears.
When you get yours apart, post some pictures. It will be very interesting to see how the parts are actually secured.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-16-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
It looks to me to be a shrink fit. Those can be very tight when sized correctly.
Or, it could be welded on the blind side of the gears.
When you get yours apart, post some pictures. It will be very interesting to see how the parts are actually secured.

Will do. Once I get it apart, I'll post pics. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default btw you can

take it apart from the passengers side with out even taking the main housing out in removal. just put in 4 wheel drive release sway bar , have it in disconnected position then remove the passengers side sway bar link ( then un screw all bolts it will open right up. , for cleaning or repair. You will have to undo that u strap too. and the hanger i think, This can all be done in 1/2 hour with regular ratchet wrench,. Just watch how the gears and things are as you separate the case, (slowly) so nothing falls out that you wont know where it goes for when yourre installing it again.. Clean it out and put new grease in all those gears theres really only a few gears and washers and spring if i remember correctly.
the majority of time is wiping the grease off your hands . have lots of paper towels ready remove wipe down and re-pack it all, and just tighten bolts back up after you find out what broke if anything in there>?. i doubt thers any thing holding it in besides the strap and the link prob a ( c ) clip. but i could be wrong . Let us know with a pic

i honestly cant see how it could have moved the u strap holds that tight up to frame in a rubber bushing thats very tightly secured * were you in rocks or something where it might have got snagged ? between the drag link being bent and that u strap bushing not holding it tight in place it would seem it had to sustain a major pull from something even if it had lost a retainer it would seem near impossible to pull out that far to damage & bend the link?? it would have to be visa versa, something snagged that link bent it, and pulled the sway bar out

Last edited by jeepmojo; 12-19-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
take it apart from the passengers side with out even taking the main housing out in removal. just put in 4 wheel drive release sway bar , have it in disconnected position then remove the passengers side sway bar link ( then un screw all bolts it will open right up. , for cleaning or repair. You will have to undo that u strap too. and the hanger i think, This can all be done in 1/2 hour with regular ratchet wrench,. Just watch how the gears and things are as you separate the case, (slowly) so nothing falls out that you wont know where it goes for when yourre installing it again.. Clean it out and put new grease in all those gears theres really only a few gears and washers and spring if i remember correctly.
the majority of time is wiping the grease off your hands . have lots of paper towels ready remove wipe down and re-pack it all, and just tighten bolts back up after you find out what broke if anything in there>?. i doubt thers any thing holding it in besides the strap and the link prob a ( c ) clip. but i could be wrong . Let us know with a pic

i honestly cant see how it could have moved the u strap holds that tight up to frame in a rubber bushing thats very tightly secured * were you in rocks or something where it might have got snagged ? between the drag link being bent and that u strap bushing not holding it tight in place it would seem it had to sustain a major pull from something even if it had lost a retainer it would seem near impossible to pull out that far to damage & bend the link?? it would have to be visa versa, something snagged that link bent it, and pulled the sway bar out
I took mine apart with all power removed, which makes it locked. What's your thought that indicates it should be unlocked before disassembly?
Old 12-19-2017, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

I really don't think I snagged it on anything. This is our daily driver. We get out in the hills quite a bit, but mostly just climbing or in the mud. We have never used it for crawling or extreme wheeling. We've never had it in the rocks. The sway bar link wasn't bent, just pushed outward enough to be at an angle. I'm sure that's what caused the ball joints on the links to wear out. As far as the bushing, it's really not that tight. I was able to push it most of the way back into the housing by hand. Only had to tap on it with a piece of wood for about the last half inch.

Anyway, I work tomorrow, but will take it off and post pics on Thursday.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:09 PM
JK Junkie

Default it made it easyer

to manover the sway bar arm out of the way on the passengers side , seeing your not dropping the whole swaybar and motor from drivers side . That all stayed in tact . It also released pressure off the link when not jacked up, if i recall. ? Being in locked i think, it was not going to allow me to access it easy im pretty sure.. But its been a little while so im not 100% sure the reason lol exactly.. Its possible the passengers side swaybar could be pulled out that way..maybe But for me at the time i know it was found to be easyer to release and move the bar up and down to where it just comes right out after removing those 8 or so bolts from the housing and the u strap & to release from the front hanger in front of the housing toward bumper and removing the link. But keep in mind or i should say i have poision spyder front bumper and skid .plate . That may have had something to do with why i released it too. Maybe the skid was in my way for that in my case. . But being locked i wasnt sure if the gears were meshed together and would have made it harder to get it back together.. or separate just the passengers side only. But in any case it was not hard to do it. Was just messy with all the grease and grime that had collected inside. I was quite surprised and curious of how it gets into a sealed housing. not something you want to do for the hell of it but mine was not releasing all the time when button was pushed nor was it reconnecting on demand (being released) may have also allowed me to pop lower bolt on the swaybar link and pull it up from the bracketing with ease and on reinstalling it , swing the bar with link hanging and shift it up and down to push the bolt through as well .. Being locked there was no wiggle room for anything.of that sort.
one more note: " i saw no reason to drop the whole system to open it up clean repack its all was veiwable and 100% access from passengers side alone

Last edited by jeepmojo; 12-19-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

to manover the sway bar arm out of the way on the passengers side , seeing your not dropping the whole swaybar and motor from drivers side . That all stayed in tact . It also released pressure off the link when not jacked up, if i recall. ? Being in locked i think, it was not going to allow me to access it easy im pretty sure.. But its been a little while so im not 100% sure the reason lol exactly.. Its possible the passengers side swaybar could be pulled out that way..maybe But for me at the time i know it was found to be easyer to release and move the bar up and down to where it just comes right out after removing those 8 or so bolts from the housing and the u strap & to release from the front hanger in front of the housing toward bumper and removing the link. But keep in mind or i should say i have poision spyder front bumper and skid .plate . That may have had something to do with why i released it too. Maybe the skid was in my way for that in my case. . But being locked i wasnt sure if the gears were meshed together and would have made it harder to get it back together.. or separate just the passengers side only. But in any case it was not hard to do it. Was just messy with all the grease and grime that had collected inside. I was quite surprised and curious of how it gets into a sealed housing. not something you want to do for the hell of it but mine was not releasing all the time when button was pushed nor was it reconnecting on demand (being released) may have also allowed me to pop lower bolt on the swaybar link and pull it up from the bracketing with ease and on reinstalling it , swing the bar with link hanging and shift it up and down to push the bolt through as well .. Being locked there was no wiggle room for anything.of that sort.
one more note: " i saw no reason to drop the whole system to open it up clean repack its all was veiwable and 100% access from passengers side alone

I've been watching mine very closely for the last 5 or 6 days to see if it would move again. It hasn't moved at all. I installed the Teraflex 2.5 and everything seems to be good. I contacted Jeep numerous times about the problem, and all they will say is that it's a non-servicable part, and to replace it, for $1500.00, before install. What a joke. I ordered an adjustable track bar to re-center the axle, and when that comes in I'll pull the sway bar out also and service it. You said you had a bunch of grime in yours. Are there not seals on the ends of the housing? Of course, it probably doesn't matter since we can't buy individual parts for the system. I guess I'll just pack it with some quality grease and hope for the best. It's too bad Jeep has to be such a huge PITA on some things. It really isn't that complicated of a part! I'll post pics when I pull it apart.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:15 PM
JK Junkie

Default yeh i dont think they have end seals

i really never looked , but its pretty common to see the gunk in there. regardless of if your off road much or not. i imagine it gets in at the sway bar, It has a seal you have to break on the motor , so i dont think it gets in that way. , Dont even concider replacing it lol not at 1500 plus just clean it out and see how that goes from there.. It really wouldnt be expensive for chrysler to put a seal there on both arms. like a wheel on a motorcycle ,. then gunk wouldnt get in there in the first place. But once its got new grease i bet youl be fine/ Maybe buy a u strap bushing or at least make sure that strap is really tight to frame. Mine has never moved out, not saying it cant though, ive never looked into what holds the arm into the housing/. There kinda a pita ( they work when they want to) mine hangs up some times just because its 20 degrees or so even with new grease. Then works well if it gets to 32 lol . Im still glad i traded my sport for a rubicon with some of what you get for that extra money. But the rubicon shocks were junk, the sway bar isnt perfected,/ But i like my 410 gearing and low transfer gears , lockers that seldom get used (but when you need them they work well) and the rubicon sticker ? I like that on my hood, what can i say? They can build with after market but its still a sport. They could put a fake sticker on but its still a sport. they may be better quality parts too. but still a sport. Over all ive had mine since nov of 2011 even though its a 2012. and after a few issues, not much has gone sour ! knock on wood . first 20,000 miles wasnt that great. but after that i havent had problems now at 62,000 miles . But in reality , I dont find that as being high mileage anyway so it shouldnt have issues in my opinion.

Last edited by jeepmojo; 12-26-2017 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Internal Pics of Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect Anyone?