Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Intermittent starting issues

Old 08-06-2023, 03:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intermittent starting issues

We have a 2007 JKU that we recently purchased for my son. The key fob that it came with wasn’t locking/unlocking the vehicle, so I took it to our Jeep dealer and got a new transmitter that worked. However, a couple of months later, we started having an issue with the car intermittently starting when you turned the key. Sometimes it would start immediately and other times you could turn in 25+ times and then it would eventually start. Sometimes it happened after several short trips and other times first thing in the morning. Or, it would just start right away. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why. To date, we have replaced the battery, the terminals to the battery, and yesterday the starter and it is doing the same thing.

When it first started happening, I ran an OBD2 scan and got the following error code: B1A25: Invalid Key. My question is could this starting issue be related to something with the new key/programming? Since this was done at the dealership, I have a two-year warranty on the key. Is it possible that when starting the vehicle, the key is throwing the error code and causing the vehicle to not start and at some point, it recognizes the key and starts? Now that we have changed the battery, terminals, and starter and still have the same issue, what else should I try?

It is very frustrating to say the least. I have included a video that shows me trying to start the vehicle and then getting it started..

Any help/insights y’all can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1567.mov (15.43 MB, 11 views)

Last edited by msudawg; 08-06-2023 at 03:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting issues