Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Interesting Engine Sound

Old 11-13-2010, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tuned my 09' with Superchips at the dealership with only 6miles. set for 91octane performance 37" tires and upped the speed limiter.
I constantly rev to 5k rpm and I now have 25k on it with the only issue being that the water pump started to go. And mine is a daily driver towing a light trailer.
I would definitely have it checked out by a trusted mechanic, I seriously doubt it's a side effect of the Superchips. IMHO
Old 11-13-2010, 04:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know there was an issue with pinging and detonation with the superchips programmer. They had a thread on here asking who had pinging. I'd contact them and see what they say. Also, if you haven't already, flash it back to stock, and hook your flashpaq to your computer and see if there are any software updates available. There may be a revised tune.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

mine is doing that to. i took it to the dealership twice and they say they cant hear it or imitate the noise. so they told me "drive it till it breaks and bring it back"
Old 11-13-2010, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

Wow! Sounds like my dealership. Not impressed with Jim Click Chyrsler Jeep so far.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think I've ever reved my engine over 4 before? Do you have a 4 door?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Yes I do have a 4 door. The pinging happens as low as 2500 RPM though.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

As previously stated, this is a known issue ON SOME VEHICLES with the Superchips 87 octane tune. I also have this same issue. They have a custom version they will send to you (go onto the superchips forum - ask for the new tune and post up your 3875 serial number).

I can't tell you how it works because of a couple of technical things going on which are preventing me from installing the new tune on my JK. Hopefully will have that rectified in a day or so.

Good Luck!

Originally Posted by TKWJK
Recently I have been noticing an interesting but somewhat concerning engine noise during hard acceleration around 3-5000 RPM. Hard to explain but it sounds like a low pitched clicking noise or as my wife says a small can with rocks in it. Much worse then it actually sounds but does anyone have any ideas of what it might be? Pre-detonation? I did recently tune the engine with the Superchips to 87 Octane Performance and I am not sure if it was making this noise before I tuned it.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by grodgers
As previously stated, this is a known issue ON SOME VEHICLES with the Superchips 87 octane tune. I also have this same issue. They have a custom version they will send to you (go onto the superchips forum - ask for the new tune and post up your 3875 serial number).

I can't tell you how it works because of a couple of technical things going on which are preventing me from installing the new tune on my JK. Hopefully will have that rectified in a day or so.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the advise! I will post on the Superchips Forum.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TKWJK
Yes I do have a 4 door. The pinging happens as low as 2500 RPM though.
I have this too. It is much like the sound just as the engine is about to stall (I've got a manual with 3.21s... stalling happens - lol)

Normally accelerating under low load, but at least once the other day under high load climbing a big hill on the highway.

Mine drivetrain is bone stock. No chip, no CAI, nothing. I might try a tank of higher octane gas to see if it goes away. Either way I need it fixed.

I think I'll talk with the dealer...

Old 11-16-2010, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Funny, I was concerned that in stock form, I cannot hear my engine at all. With a 6 spd tranny, I sometimes forget to shift then I see the tach running over 3500 when I am just puttin along. Good reason to upgrade the exhaust if you ask me.
And even with 4.10 gears I too stall sometimes. Just can't get in synch with the revs of the engine cause I can't hear em. I guess I should be happy with no noise rather than what some of you are dealing with. Wish me luck though, I plan to hook up my new superchips this weekend.

Quick Reply: Interesting Engine Sound