Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement

Old 04-05-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement

Click image for larger version

Name:	jp inatk.jpg
Views:	1675
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	300202

It's been a real slow process and I'm about due to tackle it. Coolant level in the reservoir slowly lowered over months without any dripping or wet spots with me checking under the hood regularly. All I get are these crusty pink flakes.

Anyways... I want some advice.
I'm at 80 miles and was thinking
Should I replace the gaskets with factory parts or go aftermarket and does anyone have a particularly gasket company they suggest? It would be nice not to have to deal with this again.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:59 AM
JK Freak

Go OEM, chrysler designed the engine, use their gasket.

This has the potential to be a huge PIA, so make sure you are slow and systematic about everything to take apart.
Also make sure you torque the bolts down to spec, or you risk the chance of cracking the manifold. I suggest snugging them in a star pattern and follow up with a torque wrench in a star pattern.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice. My friend let me check out his alldata account so I got all the diagrams and specs with the recommended patterns. It's just when things fail, I'm hesitant in reusing their product. I know it's a different ballpark, but I've purchased tons of aftermarket products(gaskets, seals) for different vehicles that put factory stuff to shame at a fraction of the price.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:23 PM
JK Super Freak

in this case go with mopar gaskets there is a difference in the after market and mopar gaskets in some cases this and valve cover gaskets on these engines are much better stock take it from me also per another poster be very careful when you torque everthing back down
Old 04-06-2012, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement