Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Instant fuel economy

Old 01-25-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instant fuel economy

I pressed the wrong button tonight to reset my fuel economy. Now I have instant fuel economy! It's not in my manual, and I have a new computer, but I held the left button in while it was on the avg eco until it went blank.

Might work for you might not, but I like it.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think this is normal. I've done it on mine, but it just resets it - it will settle down over time. I reset it after each fill-up.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Nope not the reset. I goes from 3 MPG when I step on the gas to 21 MPG when I let off the throttle. And if I did reset it like I was trying to do, it's never acted like this before. Maybe I just never paid attention before

Edit to add, wife says I've been pretty anal about the jeep since getting it back so it's probably acted this way all the time.

Last edited by eDiveBuddy; 01-25-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hurried over to this thread thinking someone had found a week to eek out a few more miles per gallon as gas starts crreping back up... Darn

Oh well - just keep my tires aired up and the pedal off the floor
Old 01-25-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a similar experience today. I pushed the button wondering what it would do and it obviously reset. Now I have "Miles per gallon" ingrained in my brain from watching American TV stations, so when I noticed that the number dropped significantly after pushing it, I thought I had broken my jeep. Then I read the fine print and remembered that here in Canada we do it "liters per 100k". Then I had a breif period of thinking I improved my gas milage, but by the end of the trip it was back to where it usually is at around 14.6.

Good story eh?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy
Nope not the reset. I goes from 3 MPG when I step on the gas to 21 MPG when I let off the throttle. And if I did reset it like I was trying to do, it's never acted like this before. Maybe I just never paid attention before

Edit to add, wife says I've been pretty anal about the jeep since getting it back so it's probably acted this way all the time.
Right after you reset it, it won't be really accurate until you've driven around for a while. It needs some time to collect more driving data, in order to give you a really usable reading. The numbers will change a lot at first, because its averaging a really small set of numbers. As the set of numbers grows, it is less affected by the immediate gas usage inputs.

It's like adding a shot of vodka to a glass-sized drink, or adding the same shot to a bucket-sized drink. You'll taste the effects of the shot added to the smaller one right away, where you really won't taste the difference to the larger until you've added much more then a single shot.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbfreebird
Hurried over to this thread thinking someone had found a week to eek out a few more miles per gallon as gas starts crreping back up... Darn

Oh well - just keep my tires aired up and the pedal off the floor

Yeah, me too.

The closest my Jeep gets to having a computer onboard is when I put the iPhone on the dash.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy

actually, ya, it is the reset...
but because you've had next to no time on the avg mpg, it changes dramatically. Try this... do it again, and drive it around for a week, then let us know if it still changes, or if its back to doing avg mpg. If its instant mpg, then way cool ... but I'm not positive that it is the instant mpg.

keep us posted, as I've said, it'd be way cool if so
Old 01-26-2009, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

by the way, is there a way to '' reset '' this thing to reed mpg instead of lp100k.

i have a canadian jk but i would like to reed it in mpg.

anything ?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't remember the procedure, but the owners manual did have a way to choose the method of measurement I think.

Quick Reply: Instant fuel economy