Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Installing sunrider windows

Old 07-27-2009, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing sunrider windows

I have never put my windows in and am needing to. What are some things I can do to make it easier, any tips would be helpful. I have heard to use soap, is that liquid or bar soap. Thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

soap and wax have been mentioned as easing the zipper the first time around. Moreso, do this when it is warm out and it should be easier. Of course, over time everything will loosen up and not be such a pain in the butt to install.

In terms of installing them in the surrounds, make sure you watch the jeep video on jeep.com as it is an asset to use until you get the hang of it yourself. Installing the flaps inside the door surrounds are a bit of a trick until everything stretches out so don't be discouraged. Lots of helpful write ups on these boards to get you through it so good luck!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

I am currently trying to find this video you speak of on jeep.com to no avail. Link please?

I just scored a sunrider soft top with all hardware including door surrounds for $360 on ebay... but dreading the install!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by redrockin7
I am currently trying to find this video you speak of on jeep.com to no avail. Link please?

I just scored a sunrider soft top with all hardware including door surrounds for $360 on ebay... but dreading the install!
jeep.com/en/owners/soft_top_guide/[/url]

It's an easy install.

Last edited by mkjeep; 08-18-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hotter the day the easier it will be. Even lay it out in the sun on your driveway for a while to get everything as loose as possible.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Window install is a piece of cake. At least it was for me the first time. What I'm struggling with is a good way to store the windows safely and compactly in my JK when i take them out and not at home.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alleycat
I have never put my windows in and am needing to. What are some things I can do to make it easier, any tips would be helpful. I have heard to use soap, is that liquid or bar soap. Thanks
As far as that goes, I use a little bar soap in the corners of my back window, since that's where I seem to have problems (teeth in the zipper binding up) Just rub it over the zipper and it'll make a surprising difference. Apparently paraffin wax works the same but I've never tried it...soap's handier and it makes my Jeep smell shower fresh!
Old 08-18-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roadking54@gmail.com
Window install is a piece of cake. At least it was for me the first time. What I'm struggling with is a good way to store the windows safely and compactly in my JK when i take them out and not at home.
I sort of modified another member's idea (sorry, can't remember who it was).

Basically I have a chunk of 6" PVC pipe that I cut a little longer than the height of the side windows. Then I cut a couple notches in the PVC and ran a bungee cord through it. I roll the side windows up in a blanket and put them in the tube, then I use the bungee and strap it to the hooks on the sides of the back seat (I think they're for anchoring a car seat?) to keep it from rolling around. Might be able to grab a pic for you tomorrow if you need.

As far as the back window goes, I just unzip it and let it lay in the tub. It's getting a little scuffed up from this, but they're going to get scuffed up no matter what! Use it and enjoy it!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Geezle
I sort of modified another member's idea (sorry, can't remember who it was).

Basically I have a chunk of 6" PVC pipe that I cut a little longer than the height of the side windows. Then I cut a couple notches in the PVC and ran a bungee cord through it. I roll the side windows up in a blanket and put them in the tube, then I use the bungee and strap it to the hooks on the sides of the back seat (I think they're for anchoring a car seat?) to keep it from rolling around. Might be able to grab a pic for you tomorrow if you need.

As far as the back window goes, I just unzip it and let it lay in the tub. It's getting a little scuffed up from this, but they're going to get scuffed up no matter what! Use it and enjoy it!
Couldn't you roll the back window up with the side windows in the tube, or does it not all fit? I'd love to see a pic of this set up if you've got it.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roadking54@gmail.com
buy a couple of microfleece blankets: I than roll each window into these blankets and secure them with some velcro. Once rolled I put each window on the floor in the cargo area leaning up against the back seats. Works out real well, and easily accessed.

Quick Reply: Installing sunrider windows