Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Installing steering stabilizer backward

Old 04-07-2009, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing steering stabilizer backward

Hey, on my 2007 JK the stabilizer was installed with the body of the stabilizer connected to the tie rod and the shaft to the track bar bracket. In WOL's stabilizer write-up it looks the same. However, on my 2009 it is just the opposite. Is there any reason that Jeep would have reversed the installation? I'm getting ready to install a heavy duty one and want to make sure it is able to function to its full potential. Any thoughts?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I called the dealership and they said they would look into it and call me back. They called back and left a message saying that Jeep made this change when the 2007 models came out. Ummm, they apparently didn't listen to my question. I was asking why my 2007 is different from the 2009.

Anyway, does anybody have a thought on this? I can't decide which way I should install the HD one. Perhaps it doesn't even matter but, like I say, I just want everything to function to its fullest potential.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Somebody?? Anybody?? Does anyone have the number for Moab?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Finn
Hey, on my 2007 JK the stabilizer was installed with the body of the stabilizer connected to the tie rod and the shaft to the track bar bracket. In WOL's stabilizer write-up it looks the same. However, on my 2009 it is just the opposite. Is there any reason that Jeep would have reversed the installation? I'm getting ready to install a heavy duty one and want to make sure it is able to function to its full potential. Any thoughts?
I do not know my track bar form my tie rod but the body of the s/s is on the passenger side and the shaft to to drivers side.I have a 09
Old 04-08-2009, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep, that's the same with my 09. I wonder why it has changed now?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I called Jeep for an answer. They said they would call me back. I described the question and the guy says, "Ok, so the stabilizer attaches to the tie rod, right? Then what does the tie rod attach to?" Ummm, did I call the wrong number or something? Shouldn't you know that?
Old 04-09-2009, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it matters which way it's installed as long as it clears. It's basically a shock absorber and since it's mounted horizontally I doubt it makes a difference. Vertically would be a whole other story.

BTW: Calling Jeep (Chrysler) about your Jeep is like asking an infant to do your homework. They just stare at you clueless. Kind of like this .
The following users liked this post:
LoneWolf (07-10-2020)
Old 04-09-2009, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

I called Jeep for an answer. They said they would call me back. I described the question and the guy says, "Ok, so the stabilizer attaches to the tie rod, right? Then what does the tie rod attach to?" Ummm, did I call the wrong number or something? Shouldn't you know that?
The sales people at Jeep aren't mechanics, I would recommend asking the local Jeep repair shop and they'll be able to help you better. I really don't think it matters which way you mount it, but I do know that lots of people have smashed them before, maybe they reversed the mount to keep it a little more protected?
Old 04-09-2009, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's what I was thinking....protect it better. BTW, I did call the dealership and they told me that Jeep changed the installation when the new JK model came out. Obviously that wasn't right because I was asking why the installation is different on a 2007 vs. 2009. Apparently the mechanics aren't sure when the JK came out.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

That's what I was thinking....protect it better. BTW, I did call the dealership and they told me that Jeep changed the installation when the new JK model came out. Obviously that wasn't right because I was asking why the installation is different on a 2007 vs. 2009. Apparently the mechanics aren't sure when the JK came out.
Are you sure you got a mechanic and not just some sales person or customer service person?

Quick Reply: Installing steering stabilizer backward