Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Installing a new Hard Top

Old 11-16-2014, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a new Hard Top

Couldn't find in the search, but what I'd like to do is trade out my stock soft top for a stock hard top. Has anyone done this and know if the wiper/defroster will work with even though the Jeep was built with a soft top?
Old 11-16-2014, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by malignant
Couldn't find in the search, but what I'd like to do is trade out my stock soft top for a stock hard top. Has anyone done this and know if the wiper/defroster will work with even though the Jeep was built with a soft top?
Mine came from the factory as a soft top. I installed the mopar wiring harness and controls, which was pretty easy. After that install, the dealer needs to enable the functions in the computer. Mines an 08, but would imagine a newer one wouldn't be much different
Old 11-16-2014, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First you need to go to the rear part of your jeep and see if the wiring harness is there that connects to the defrost. Also check if there is a button next to ac for the defrost. I doubt if yours came with a soft top it would have it but who knows. I bought a hard top from a guy on Craigslist and mine didn't have the wiring or button or wiper control. Looked into getting it done and between parts and flashing at the dealer it was going to run me around $250. Bought a snorkel with that money instead and haven't regretted it. Even when visiting family in western PA.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 11-17-2014, 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quadratec sells a complete kit for it including new HVAC controls and multifunction switch stalk for $260.

MOPAR 82212859 - MOPAR® Hardtop Wiring Kit for 11-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with OE MOPAR® Hardtop & without Heated Mirrors - Quadratec

If you look at the installation instructions, you will need to have a dealer reflash the VIN with the new option or use a STARSCAN tool and the online Jeep OWNERCONNECT website to do it yourself.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. This is definitely a more difficult process than I realized!
Old 11-17-2014, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Agree with fulton as stated above. I never have needed to use mine and I'm up in PA. It's just a piece of junk hanging on my rear window...
Old 11-17-2014, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

i have an 07 that came with soft top, i bought a hard top and bought wiring kit and had dealer do it, that was 3 years ago, i have never bothered to use rear wiper or defroster and i live in upstate NY, tried it once after first getting it, probably won't use it this year either, the hard top is great tho,
Old 11-17-2014, 03:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to agree. I have never used my rear wiper except to test it when it was new. I have used the defroster half a dozen times. That was before I got a soft top and now I don't even use the hard top...so I guess it's all relative.

Quick Reply: Installing a new Hard Top