Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Infamous Hardtop Issues

Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infamous Hardtop Issues

problem solved

Last edited by JK BRO; 03-26-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just bought an 09 JK X two door with the Bestop Hardtop. It has been really rattling and I was able to push the hold down bolts that go through the roll bar up nearly 1/4". The fasteners that are being used in this location are the same ones that are on the corners of the roll bar near the windshield. I have the larger ones that I assume originally came with the top.

Anyway, a stop at Home Depot for some nylon spacers has eliminated the looseness of the top. I don't know if there were spacer that originally came with the top but this was a good $2 fix.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds good thanks for the suggestion man. Anyone else dealt with this issue and have a fix?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK BRO
Sounds good thanks for the suggestion man. Anyone else dealt with this issue and have a fix?
Loosen up the t top fasteners a little the ones that go by the sound bar above you head. If I have mine really tight it rattles
Old 08-16-2011, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

There is a TSB/RRT for the leak at the pass. side A pillar... Involves adding a "stuffer" to the weatherstrip.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BDOG1
There is a TSB/RRT for the leak at the pass. side A pillar... Involves adding a "stuffer" to the weatherstrip.
Yes its on a national back order for the parts though, so get ahold of the dealer and expect a bit of a wait.

I posted my frustrating steps towards getting my leak fixed and in the end it involved a new door seal also.

Good luck. ( i dont have any rattles so i cant help there )
Old 08-16-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chrysler has a specific "procedure" for putting back on the freedom panels...I tried it and it actually works, stops leaks and rattles. Don't have time to search it now but a dealer could print it out for ya or I'm sure you can find it online
Old 08-16-2011, 11:26 AM
JK Super Freak

I put an extra washer or two on the bolts that secure the top to the Jeep so I could wind it down a bit more. It took care of mine!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

if i remember right, after the rear section is on you put the passenger section on, the the driver section. when you put the two "smaller" pieces in put them in leaning down at an angle so that the meet up with the windshield header first. next you do the cross pieces on the two sections, then last you do the two above the windshield. this is how i do mine and don't/haven't had a problem yet. my hard top is off right now but when i put it back on in october this is how i do it.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Here are some of the fixes I have discovered searching around here and on my own.

The freedom top panels have some neopreme spacers that are basically stuck on to the front panels, make sure they are still there because if you take your front panels off a lot they tend to fall off. These spacers keep the front panels from rattling and if they are missing you will def know.

The water leaking when you brake and when you are on an incline may be trapped water inside the front freedom panel itself. I had a similar problem because I failed to tighten the sound bar round hand screws sufficiently enough and somehow water got into the panel itself. I could hear the water swishing around when I would turn and it would leak when I would brake. The fix was super easy I just removed the panel from the jeep and then found a hole on the panel and basically moved the water towards the hole until it was all out of the panel, problem solved. I installed the front panels back on and this time I properly tightened the hand screws so it would not take on water.

I recently experienced a problem with the 2 screws that hold the back portion of the freedom top onto the jeep right to each side of the sound bar center cross bar. No matter how much I tighten these they always manage to come lose with time. I can literally unsrew them by hand when I am ready to remove my top after a time period. I have yet to find a solution for this but occasionally I retighten them and my rattles go away.

I hope this helps and good luck trouble shooting your leaks.

Quick Reply: Infamous Hardtop Issues