Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Inaccurate Mileage Computer

Old 07-12-2007, 08:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
the computer is an AVERAGE from the last time you reset it, including distance, time and fuel!

If i push the 'reset' on my dad's excursion DOWN hill, I can get 24 MPG! (V10)

but if i push it uphill, i get 8 MPG! after driving an hour, its an average of an hour...

if the first part of that hour is say... down hill... the final number will be higher than if the first part of that hour was pulling a 10,000 lb boat UP hill...

The information is accurate; from a stats view, however you have to take into account what it's based on...

the longer you leave it on; the longer the average is drawn out... and vice versa...
Yes, it IS an average, but it's an incorrect average. I think that whoever wrote the programming code for that feature didn't do a very good job testing and debugging, because mine is consistently optimistic... and my hand-calcs bear out that assertion.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is 2-3 mpg higher than calculated on my fingers and toes as well.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:54 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Mine is 2-3 mpg higher than calculated on my fingers and toes as well.
Ha ha ha, Mr. Literal. :toung: Is that considered a faux pun?

I shouldn't have written "hand-calc'd," because in actuality, it's Excel-calc'd (I'm a programmer, and have a pretty nifty little workbook going).
Old 07-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

*L*

no, actually was kinda serious, i do mine in my head. Not out to the hundredths place or anything, but down to tenths isnt to hard to do as long as i have had some coffee first.

the better half gets mad at me for doing math like that quickly in my head, she never learned to do it that way. I kind of learned it because of my job.

I use Excel alot at work (and for my checking/budget stuff)
Old 07-12-2007, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

My stick was about 2 miles off.
My Auto is only about .5miles off.

Ron
Old 07-12-2007, 09:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
*L*

no, actually was kinda serious, i do mine in my head. Not out to the hundredths place or anything, but down to tenths isnt to hard to do as long as i have had some coffee first.

the better half gets mad at me for doing math like that quickly in my head, she never learned to do it that way. I kind of learned it because of my job.

I use Excel alot at work (and for my checking/budget stuff)
Ditto on the in-head calculation skill (although seeing as you have more years under your belt, I'm sure you're a bit more proficient). At first, my wife was impressed and thought I was really smart... and then as time went on, she got tired of me "showing off," and now gets annoyed. Oh well - that's marriage, right?

My Excel worksheet keeps a nice running average, and with the exception of 2 or 3 receipts, I've faithfully kept a record of my overall fill-up history. My lifetime MPG is over 17.5, and on the rise!
Old 07-12-2007, 03:14 PM
JK Super Freak

It really pisses my wife off when I am able to calculate the tip and the total faster than she can write the dollar sign on the check.
Today's society has made it so doing mental math isn't required anymore. Split a check, and you see cell phones whip out so people can use the calculator function. Same at the pumps. Come on people, it isn't hard. You aren't multiplying by pi or anything.

Quick Reply: Inaccurate Mileage Computer