Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Inaccurate Mileage Computer

Old 07-11-2007, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Inaccurate Mileage Computer

The "Stall Problem Fix" thread touched briefly on this issue but I thought it deserved it's own thread so everyone knows where it is.

My mileage computer has always been 2-3 mph off. I got the recall fix and took it for a 700 mile trip and the mileage was still off. Sometimes it's only 1 mph off but other times it's 3 mph off. I have almost 10,000 miles and wonder if the dealer can reset it or something. Everytime I fill up with gas the DTE says at least 470 miles until empty. I wish I could get 470 miles to a tank. Usually driving at 60 mph, the computer says I'm getting 24 mpg, which is inaccurate..
Old 07-11-2007, 07:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine usually says 270 or some such thing. Never over 300, though.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine always says 483 KM (from Canada) to empty. I would say thats about 300-320 Miles.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ayersdm
The "Stall Problem Fix" thread touched briefly on this issue but I thought it deserved it's own thread so everyone knows where it is.

My mileage computer has always been 2-3 mph off. I got the recall fix and took it for a 700 mile trip and the mileage was still off. Sometimes it's only 1 mph off but other times it's 3 mph off. I have almost 10,000 miles and wonder if the dealer can reset it or something. Everytime I fill up with gas the DTE says at least 470 miles until empty. I wish I could get 470 miles to a tank. Usually driving at 60 mph, the computer says I'm getting 24 mpg, which is inaccurate..
Do you reset your DTE when you fill up .. since its only based on how you have been driving i get 700 km on the highway... about 450 to 500 in the city thats km... see if that helps...
Old 07-12-2007, 02:49 AM
JK Junkie

I have over 5500 miles on mine, and have been faithfully recording the mileage - I've found that at least 90% of the time, my mileage computer is about 2-3 MPG over-optimistic... My findings: If you reset the mileage CPU immediately after a fill-up and then drive as you normally would for about 10 miles or so, the reading on the computer is closer to accurate - but after the miles really pile on in the CPU (say 100 or more) the reading is skewed way too high.

This is my own experience. Yours may/will differ, especially if you drive on the highway instead of "city driving" doing this... But after a fill-up, if you reset the mileage CPU, you may temporarily get more accurate readings. The best way is (and will remain) to hand-calc your MPG after each fill-up - not 100% accurate, but as close as you're likely to get without going through some huge scientific set-up...
Old 07-12-2007, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ayersdm
So your speedometer is off too, since you are referring to MPH - Miles Per Hour? Or do you mean MPG-Miles Per Gallon?

If speedometer is way off, then you have a bigger problem. My speedometer is spot on with my GPS and with road side radar gun signs.

I my computer will tell me I am getting around 18mpgs, but generally I am closer to 17mpg, using hand calc. Never seen it quoting over 20mpg.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got mine to show 99 when I put in in nuetral coasting down hill!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default computer

the computer is an AVERAGE from the last time you reset it, including distance, time and fuel!

If i push the 'reset' on my dad's excursion DOWN hill, I can get 24 MPG! (V10)

but if i push it uphill, i get 8 MPG! after driving an hour, its an average of an hour...

if the first part of that hour is say... down hill... the final number will be higher than if the first part of that hour was pulling a 10,000 lb boat UP hill...

The information is accurate; from a stats view, however you have to take into account what it's based on...

the longer you leave it on; the longer the average is drawn out... and vice versa...
Old 07-12-2007, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 07rube
Mine usually says 270 or some such thing. Never over 300, though.
2dr vs 4dr.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Magister
So your speedometer is off too, since you are referring to MPH - Miles Per Hour? Or do you mean MPG-Miles Per Gallon?

If speedometer is way off, then you have a bigger problem. My speedometer is spot on with my GPS and with road side radar gun signs.

I my computer will tell me I am getting around 18mpgs, but generally I am closer to 17mpg, using hand calc. Never seen it quoting over 20mpg.
Sorry, I meant to say MPG. My GPS and speedometer are exact. I reset the computer after every fill up but when I calcualte the MPG (miles divided by gallons) it is always 2-3 lower from what the computer shows.

Quick Reply: Inaccurate Mileage Computer