Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Improving road manners on a Stock 2013 Unlimited

Old 05-27-2014, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gforce!
Honestly, look at tires. I noticed a huge difference from going from my stock sra's to some e rated bf Goodrich km2s. I realize that e rated tires would not be recommended by most, but I got them at a steal, and I really like them. They're very stiff, and definitely improved the handling characteristics of my jeep. I also have a 2 door.
Ok, I'll look in to it! I'm actually a 4 door....
Old 05-27-2014, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a fairly simple question to answer in my opinion.

If the vehicle is aligned and castered properly. I will give the options in two catagories, possible and unreasonable

Possible:
Lower the COG the vehicle, via suspension changes and reduction in tire diameter.
Increase the tire width (understand that this will make the vehicle harder to steer, ask a 2000's Viper owner)

Unreasonable: (in addition to "Possible")
Change to independent front and rear suspension with inboard brakes in the rear (look under a JKS Jaguar)
Change steering boxes to a quicker ratio
Chop and rake the top
Throw everything in the trash that doesn't make it run, roll or brake....now she handles
Ensure that weight distribution is is 49/51 front/rear
Old 05-27-2014, 01:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RenegadeUL13

I am curious what if anything can be done to eliminate track wonder and flightiness on a stock JK?
Check your tire pressure. I know... I know... the tires get checked at the dealership too, but I have found that every time I take my Jeep to the dealer for any service they over inflate my tires, which can cause the flightiness you describe.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:27 PM
JK Freak

Default Improving road manners on a Stock 2013 Unlimited

Originally Posted by holy_crap
Check your tire pressure. I know... I know... the tires get checked at the dealership too, but I have found that every time I take my Jeep to the dealer for any service they over inflate my tires, which can cause the flightiness you describe.
I lowered them a bit today actually. And it did seem to improve handling! I put them at 37 since they were kinda warm when I had checked...
Old 05-27-2014, 02:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

On your stock tires, go to 33-35 it will improve more. Two other things you can do is ditch the bilsteins, they are very very stiff. and get the teraflex stabilizer relocation kit, that takes the "dead spot" out of the steering box. you can also add a sector shaft brace to your rig. You should not have to dial in any caster. should be fine from the factory if your stock. I am glad to hear that the 60s are stiffer in the back. I have 18/59s now and im going to 19/60s..
Old 05-27-2014, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can the caster angle be improved upon over stock? Or is it set at an ideal angle from factory?
stock caster angle are normally set at the factory at around 4.2 but at 5 it seems to be better.

It will improve the steering response and feel and the jeep will be more stable on highway speed.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by WARLOCK
stock caster angle are normally set at the factory at around 4.2 but at 5 it seems to be better.

It will improve the steering response and feel and the jeep will be more stable on highway speed.
I think I can buy an angle gauge at harbor freight. How exactly do I measure it?
Old 05-27-2014, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think I can buy an angle gauge at harbor freight. How exactly do I measure it?
Ideally with a wheel aligner machine.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

Oh ok. I though a gauge of some sort would allow me to check caster angle. Shows how much I know lol
Old 05-27-2014, 07:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default hes in the stock catagory correctly to be asking about improving his stock jeep

I thought his question was direct and all . But I think most comments were simply trying to help . Sometimes you wont get direct answers realy all the time . Ive learned a lot from this forum ,one is not everyone is here to help . Most are . Some can be wise asses , and whatever even some that have superior knowledge are stupid and ignorant in ways ! Ill admit ive reacted as you as well at times . I happen to enjoy the forum . I can learn things , get ideas , and when you find those who are helpful you can even some time private message them if needed and they will help u if they understand what your asking . Sometimes when people type peope don't get what your asking . I wouldn't leave any forum for any one its a free country I think . You have just as much right here as they do . Its like Bike week every one who owns a Bike thinks their bike is cool or they are more Bad ass lol truth is You can have a 100,000 dollar jeep and be smart and still be a dink and their on here too as you said . Some feel if not lifted with 35s your a newbie or stupid and in fact I prefer mine stock height right now . I too am looking on ways to improve things to make it a better more dependable better riding jeep on road and off.

But again I think the comment ( is this your first jeep ? )was a stupid comment ,,maybe he was joking . The rest were trying to help
all in all those guys are pretty good to get advise from and ronjenx is one of the guys that helps in any way he can . his passion must be jeeps any time ive ever asked him about something its been correct and or at least sound advise . Im not stupid and this is my second jeep but I admit ive learned on my own a lot , and here too and still don't know a lot about jeeps . Its not my passion as much as like like the jeep I own and how it looks im still new at it when it comes to issues with them. they certainly are riddled with them . I wanted one not knowing and thinking they were dependable not the case . Least not out of the box with out spending a fortune
Best wishes Maybe a 9/16 replacement bolt kit if you have not done it already

Last edited by jeepmojo; 05-27-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Improving road manners on a Stock 2013 Unlimited