Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Important: Clutch recall

Old 08-14-2008, 11:37 AM
TMC
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They did mine at 35,596 miles no questions asked!
Old 08-14-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure if my wife's JK would be part of this clutch issue problem?

When I use her 08(build date 08/08) unlimited JK and shift and engage the clutch and shift into another gear I get a clack or clicking sound. It goes into gear great but I hate that clack or clicking sound as if the driveshaft seems sloppy. Is this a normal Jeep thing for the manual or is this part of the TSB?

Thanks,

TJ99
Old 08-14-2008, 12:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
Then you settled and didn't make an issue about it, my dealer is also a 5-star but they would have fixed their screw-ups, after messing up the shifter knob, scratches, etc, they replaced it no questions asked. You should have had them fix their crappy work.
This was also a 5 star dealer. That means nothing. The vehicle is on step 2 of a lemon law settlement. Not that worried about the damage at this point. It has been documented.

but thanks for your judgment.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:14 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
I am not sure if my wife's JK would be part of this clutch issue problem?

When I use her 08(build date 08/08) unlimited JK and shift and engage the clutch and shift into another gear I get a clack or clicking sound. It goes into gear great but I hate that clack or clicking sound as if the driveshaft seems sloppy. Is this a normal Jeep thing for the manual or is this part of the TSB?

Thanks,

TJ99
The clicking/ticking is constant when the clutch is out. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak at the manifold. Initially thats what I thought ours was.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to ask this earlier but the service tech said that since he couldnt hear it from the side of the Jeep then it wasn't the clutch but something else. Is this true?
Old 08-14-2008, 01:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by riverzendz
Mine is in the shop right now and I'm awaiting them to finish. Still working on it as of 2:30.

I'm afraid this isn't going to go well when I get over there but we'll see.
Well I have the Jeep back.

I left the lot and noticed no sound from the intake (Airaid). Shut it off immediately, popped the hood and noticed the coupler was partially off the intake tube. Odd.

They broke the trim ring around the shifter that holds the boot down. They ordered the part already and will be fixing it but for now I have a sloppy shift boot and the smell of MT fluid gets old, quick. In their defense, that ring does look as if it would break if you touch it wrong.

The clutch pedal does not feel as, for lack of better terms, "strong" as it used to. It's entirely possible that I'm making that one up in my brain considering the fear I had of them doing this work.

Other than that, I think I'm ok.

I do have a clicking sound that sounds as if it's coming from the manifold. It's something that I've complained about since day 1 and have been trying to find it. Reading here and there that it's injectors or loose manifold bolts, etc. I'm not sure that what I'm hearing is this new TSB though because I notice the same sound on just about every JK I've ever been around, including automatics.

Last edited by riverzendz; 08-14-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:43 PM
JK Junkie

Well I have the Jeep back.

I left the lot and noticed no sound from the intake (Airaid). Shut it off immediately, popped the hood and noticed the coupler was partially off the intake tube. Odd.

They broke the trim ring around the shifter that holds the boot down. They ordered the part already and will be fixing it but for now I have a sloppy shift boot and the smell of MT fluid gets old, quick.

Other than that, I think I'm ok.

I do have a clicking sound that sounds as if it's coming from the manifold. It's something that I've complained about since day 1 and have been trying to find it. Reading here and there that it's injectors or loose manifold bolts, etc. I'm not sure that what I'm hearing is this new TSB though because I notice the same sound on just about every JK I've ever been around, including automatics.

Well, at least your noise is gone. But that sucks about your console. Id crawl around underneath too and make sure there wasnt anything else they customized for you.

If you push the clutch in about an inch and the ticking goes away, then its the clutch. If it stays.. then its a mystery
Old 08-14-2008, 01:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The clutch pedal does not feel as, for lack of better terms, "strong" as it used to. It's entirely possible that I'm making that one up in my brain considering the fear I had of them doing this work.
That is normal for this repair. I guess it's the adjusted preload.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bly109
Well, at least your noise is gone. But that sucks about your console. Id crawl around underneath too and make sure there wasnt anything else they customized for you.

If you push the clutch in about an inch and the ticking goes away, then its the clutch. If it stays.. then its a mystery
I gave it a good inspection when I got back to the office. Co-workers and other people in the building thought it was strange that I was laying on the pavement under my Jeep.

Everything looks good, as good as it did before I dropped it off. No smudges, no fluid leaks, etc etc. So to that.

As for the clicking, it's back to a mystery. Clutch in or out my "ticking" never goes away.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by saltman
That is normal for this repair. I guess it's the adjusted preload.
Hmm...I'm not sure which I'd rather have. A squealy strong clutch or a weak-ass quiet one.

Eh, the squeal bothered me so I'm good with it.

Quick Reply: Important: Clutch recall