Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Important: Clutch recall

Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these loud squeals and tickings?? I am not sure if mine is making these noises since I only drive it maybe twice per week.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:03 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rballman
Are these loud squeals and tickings?? I am not sure if mine is making these noises since I only drive it maybe twice per week.
Its a fairly loud ticking that happened to me when the clutch was warm (driving for more then 20 minutes). I could hear it really clearly with the doors off or standing out side. The pedal also started sqeaking when it was depressed or let out after I drove for awhile. The Throw-out bearing squeal was constant when the clutch was out and could be heard fairly clearly inside the jeep even with everything closed up. The most important factor in diagnosing these TSB's seemed to be that all the noises went away when the clutch pedal was depressed slightly. And by slightly, I mean just a hair.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default TSB Location

TSB's can be found at http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk/jeep-jk-tsb-recalls/

Or there's a breakdown menu on the right side on any of the Project-JK pages (suspension, drive-train, electrical, etc...)
Old 08-12-2008, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

I found a copy of the first TSB(06-002-07), can someone post a link to the second one (06-001-08).

Thank you!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rballman
What does TSB stand for? Sorry if this is a stupid question..

Technical Service bulletin.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
thats not the same TSB as this one, this is the entire clutch. Mine is over 12k and they did it about 3 weeks ago with no questions asked along with a car rental for a couple days. Works like a charm now just as bly109 described.
Well I am at over 30 000 kms (clutch is 20000 km here) so I dont think they will replace mine again. But it has been doing it since they did the other one so it is worth asking. I was going to stop in today after work, but it wasnt doing it, so that would have been a waste of time.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

Bly,

Yea that's exactly the noise I have. Good to hear that people still had theirs serviced after 12,000 miles because this dealership sounded stern about the rule.

I would have raised hell if I was over 12k and they refused.

and yep, like I said, a service bulletin. sorry if the 'recall' title confused someone.

EDIT: Not sure if it's exclusively for one year or both... I have an 08. Again, this sounds like a common problem so no matter your mileage I would tell your dealer you want the problem corrected since it's a factory issue.

Last edited by GoArmy8317; 08-12-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:24 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:.
ok.... ok....
so i have this "squeak" when i press in on the clutch and sometimes when i let off. is this the squeak everyone's talking about? and as for the ticking... i have 4500 miles on mine and no ticking that i can recall.

but i took her in today for its first service and forgot to mention the squeak. shouldnt they know about these TSB's and tell me or do i have to bring it up?

I'm going to go back down later this week.
The squeal/ticking we are talking about only happens when the clutch is completely out. Yours sounds like something different
Old 08-12-2008, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bly109
Does the ticking and or squeal go away as soon as you depress the clutch a hair? If so, then the TSB's probably apply. Also mine was only ticking when it was hot, but I had the squeal all the time when the clutch was out
Yes my squeal goes away as soon as I depress the clutch a hair. My squeal isn't so much a squeal as it is a squeak when the clutch nears the floorboard. It squeaks every time I depress the clutch and the ticking sometimes starts up cold and is very loud when the Jeep has been running for a half-hour or more. I can sometimes hear it over the radio with the volume at about 17 or so.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:29 AM
JK Newbie

Just so no one's confused,

There is a constant, running ticking that kicks in about 20 - 30 mins after engine run time or after it 'warms up.' This noise stops when you depress the clutch about an inch.

I am sitting at the dealership right now and found:

-Throwout bearing TSB is for 2007
-Clutch Kit TSB is definitely 08, maybe 07

There is also another noise I have when I depress the clutch pedal totally, and it is the 'squeaking' or scratching noise that others are talking about. Not sure if it will be fixed with the TSB work but I'll post an update this afternoon.

Don't ever assume the dealership will tell you about a TSB. Be proactive and go back to the dealership with the TSB number and ask them wtf is up with their system. The regular dealership I go to never mentioned this or found a problem but the one I'm at now found it and is fixing no questions asked.

Last edited by GoArmy8317; 08-13-2008 at 04:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Important: Clutch recall