Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Im an idiot- windshield scratches

Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im an idiot- windshield scratches

Yep. I'm the dummy that used a green scouring pad to clean my windshield because I ran out of fine steel wool. I figured it was fine because my household glasses aren't scratched. Now it looks like I have a bunch of slider webs on my glass! Soooo how do I compound them out? Is it doable? Or do I throw a rock at it and pay the $100 deductible for a new one? I plan to get the jeep detailed before the summer just to add pinstripe to it again soon after so should I have them do it? I have all the buffing pads and tools so if there's a DIY, I'd be interested.
Flame away lol. Can't be much worse than the grief I already gave myself.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:32 PM
JK Super Freak

try this stuff called mothers polish I think. I did the same damn thing about 5 years ago. Rode a brand new Gixxer 1000 home and got bugs all over the front and cleaned my headlight with the scouting pad. Ruined the headlight. you're not alone
Old 05-05-2013, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by notsoricer
Yep. I'm the dummy that used a green scouring pad to clean my windshield because I ran out of fine steel wool. I figured it was fine because my household glasses aren't scratched. Now it looks like I have a bunch of slider webs on my glass! Soooo how do I compound them out? Is it doable? Or do I throw a rock at it and pay the $100 deductible for a new one? I plan to get the jeep detailed before the summer just to add pinstripe to it again soon after so should I have them do it? I have all the buffing pads and tools so if there's a DIY, I'd be interested.
Flame away lol. Can't be much worse than the grief I already gave myself.
Could probably buff them out with a buffer and a mild buffing compound, then come back with a polishing compound. I did this on my moms Cadillac CTS that had hard water stains on all the glass, when i was done i used the Rain-X that you spray on. Came out great! If that doesn't work get yourself a bat and blame it on some neighborhood kids lol
Old 05-05-2013, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would clay bar it first and see. I cant see a brilo being that harsh of scratches. The clay bar should buff it pretty nice. I use on my glass to remove hard water spots all the time.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks guys. I just went the insurance route and im having then replace my front driver and passenger windows too because they're scratched pretty bad from mud getting in there.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:42 PM
JK Freak

Next time. There us a product called " bug off" sold at almost all auto parts stores. Literally melts away smashed bugs off glass and paint without harm
Old 05-06-2013, 03:11 PM
JK Freak

I just use a flat razor blade and scrap off the dried up bug goo.. Followed by windex- good as new

Sent from my i5 using just one thumb and tapatalk
Old 05-06-2013, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Rubbing alcohol on paper towels also works well.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

The best thing is toothpaste with tarter control. It will take all scratches out except really deep ones. Rub it into the scratch and buffer the window with a towel.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Does the replacement glass have the little Jeep in the corner?

Quick Reply: Im an idiot- windshield scratches