Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

If I don't get these plastic retainers off this air dam tonight heads will role

Old 08-17-2009, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The day I bought my Jeep, we went to Biloxi and it was storming so bad the roads were flooded and cars were dying left and right in the high water. I thought, "hey I'm in a jeep, I can get thru and push them out". Well I did push two out until I found out it pushed in the plastic bumper on the Jeep.

I looked to Project-JK and this forum for how to take the front bumper off in hopes I could push the plastic back out. Of course I also read how much trouble the air dam screws were to take out and I needed to take it off and replace it.

I started out trying to take the air dam off by just unscrewing them...no go. Then I tried prying down on them with a small pry bar while unscrewing...no go. Started getting frustrated at this point and started pulling and prying harder...no go. Then it hit me, push down on top of the screw with something while unscrewing it. I took a small flat head screwdriver and was able to get it on top of the screw while turning and this worked. They came out extremely easy and by hand after that. See the pics.

Hope this helps some of you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dented Bumper.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	28734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Dam Screw Removal.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	28735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fixed Bumper.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	28736  

Quick Reply: If I don't get these plastic retainers off this air dam tonight heads will role