Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

If I don't get these plastic retainers off this air dam tonight heads will role

Old 08-15-2009, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If I don't get these plastic retainers off this air dam tonight heads will role

Am I the only person who is going nuts trying to remove the cheap plastic retainers from the air dam and bumper cover? the plastic heads just spin, and spin, but nothing loosens up... after a few turns the plastic + in the heads are completely stripped. I must be doing something wrong... do I need another tool, perhaps my sawsall
Old 08-15-2009, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know you don't want to hear this, but mine came out easily....it takes a light touch. If you have already stripped them out, drill them out and pop them out. Several folks have started drywall screws in them, then used a screwdriver to slowly turn the plastic screw and drywall screw simultaneously to back them out.

Search Piginajeep's front bumper removal thread...it explains how.

Hope it helps!
Old 08-15-2009, 05:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

They are not screws. Use a dry wall screw to grab the top then just pull out the center. The rest will come out easily after removing the center.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take it you are going to trash the plastic air dam and bumper anyway? Pry a little pressure with a flat-head screwdriver and turn gently. If that doesn't work, rip the bastards out! They are cheap to replace if you damage them (most auto parts stores carry them). No sense getting the undies in a bundle over cheap replaceable parts!
Old 08-15-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

took a break to cool off and thought about it for a min and did it w/ an exterior screw just like you guys suggested. i dont really care if I mess up the screws b/c the air dam isn't going back on.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

I wish I would have heard those tips when it was time to remove the rest of mine. After it partially tore off from some offroading, I tried using a phillips. No luck of course. I kicked and pulled until it finally let go. PIA.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

that's funny. i just ripped mine off
Old 08-15-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are pushing on the "screw" instead of trying to pull it up and out when turning. Don't have a clue why so many people have issues, had mine in and out a dozen times with no problems. I would't recommend tossing the plastic shield unless you have a similar piece of steel to go there. Expect some good hood flutter afterwards.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:06 PM
JK Junkie

Mine came out easily, but it took a very light touch, a couple didn't come all the way out so a set of robogrips finished the job.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go for a decent night wheel. should fall off mine did.

Quick Reply: If I don't get these plastic retainers off this air dam tonight heads will role