Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Idle Tensioner Pulley replacement

Old 09-28-2013, 12:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by JKinMA
Hey all,
Last spring, my 2012 JKU started making a horrible whining noise. I brought it to the family mechanic and he told me it was the idle tensioner pulley, and that they will fail if I offroad it and don't clean out the engine bay. He replaced it at a pretty high cost. I've since had the replacement fail. I really don't want to pay that much for one part to get replaced, so I ordered the pulley online. (Link) and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on installation. I'm going to be going in blind here, so I'm just going to poke around until I can figure it out, unless someone has a write-up or similar. I searched around online and found info for replacing the part on the 3.8L, but nothing about the pentastar as of yet. I attempted to find a free version of the service manual for my jeep, but man that seems like a lost cause!

So I guess I'm just asking for tips, or a write-up if possible. If none are out there, well there will be one once I'm done with this job!

Thanks in advance guys
unless you have 100,000 miles it should be under warranty on a 2012.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Repack it..

Had mine start screeming at 19k miles, pulled it out popped off both seals washed it out with some acetone repacked it with lithium grease still quite after a thousand miles.

Found it interesting that the seals pop out so easy, no wonder these go real crapy design!!! So got a new one ready to go when the F@#$-er acts up again.

Quick Reply: Idle Tensioner Pulley replacement