Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Idle

Old 02-01-2009, 12:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is smooth. I can't even hear the damn thing it's so quiet and smooth. Need a magnaflow muffler or something on there.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no cam?

Originally Posted by woffles
I didn't, it just felt like it cause the idle was so bad!
damn it boy i want a cam for mine can't find none.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mainejeeper
I know this sounds like a dealer type answer (one designed to get you to go away quietly), but honestly, you need to give the new jeeps PCM time to adjust to your driving technique. The computer learns (some more slowly than others).
But that really should have nothing to do with the idle. Why would it change no matter how I drive? Idle is idle, right? I don't think I idle it any differently than anyone else. At throttle it runs fine with no misses, no surging. That tells me that the ignition is good and the fuel delivery is good. All that leaves is air. A small vacuum leak usually won't impact drivability but will mess with the idle. It also got worse the longer I had it telling me that the computer was trying to compensate for something and wasn't able too.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They should idle like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDrqs...C2BCC&index=34
Old 02-02-2009, 05:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by woffles
How does your JK idle? Mine is a new 09 and it's a little rough.
You have to define rough. Rough to me means misfire. If you are talking about shaking that is imbalance from all the piston weights going up and down and how the counterweights are set up to counteract these forces. Hats why some engine have balance shafts in them for the counteract these forces. I don't know if our engine has them.

Anyway mine does not have any misfire so I would not consider it rough running.

Cold start is another issue, but they retard the spark and do all kinds of funky things to get the cats lit and keep the engine running. A significant amount of emissions are from cold start up and calibrations are done for good starting, minimizing emissions and fast combustion chamber warm up.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I'm starting to get used to it now.

Quick Reply: Idle