Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Idiot wrote on my muddy hood!!! HELP

Old 05-25-2009, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meguiar's Scratch-X is an awesome product, but like said before... if you wash your vehicle all the time, those scratches will come back UNLESS you do a really good wax job before it disappears.

I don't even know if you can buy it anymore, but Meguiar's Step 1 in their old line-up was a 'paint cleaner'. Meguiar's 'paint cleaner' is by far the most amazing scratch/scuff remover I've ever used, and it isn't even really intended for that. You have to work with it, but I have absolutely removed any minor damage done to every previous vehicle I've ever owned with that stuff...

The most amazing thing? Every vehicle I've ever owned before my Jk was BLACK. Yeah... black. At first I hated my silver JK... now I love it.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

What did she write with, screwdriver? lol

Will Sctatch-x remove scratches left by bushes on the sides of my car?? After squeezing through bushes in the forest my jeep is covered with lots of nasty lines!

Last edited by NIVA; 05-26-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by smbundy13
you might have to use some fine grit sand paper and sand out the imperfections.

disclaimer... i am by no means any sort of body person.. just seems like you could do this as if you were trying to sand out some orange peel or somthing..
by no means do that!!!!just wait till ya get some more scratches,then dig in your wallet pull out a hundo and have it waxed and buffed!!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:12 PM
JK Freak

I'd use my friends face to buff out the scratches, then make him pay me cash for it!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's a Jeep, go ride it out through some bushes and it'll just blend into the rest of the scratches.... rigs should have some pin-striping.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

As previously stated clay bars don't remove scratches.

As previously stated Scratch X is like any other petroleum distillate based wax or polish...it simply fills the scratch or swirl marks with Saudi Arabia's finest, then the sun heats the panel to 110+ degrees and the petroleum evaporates with a little time. Or get a nice clean bucket of water, add some Dawn, wash, dry and get the same effect.

You can pour a can of Quaker State on your hood and 'remove' scratches and swirl marks as well.

On the same note a microscopic layer of your favorite petroleum distillate wax doesn't have magic UV protector in it that makes your clear coat last longer either. The only UV protection you have is already formulated into your clear coat and in a very rare situation you will find UV protection formulated into your basecoat but its very rare.

The moral of this story is you can't always believe the hype.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

IF THE SCRATCHES "COME BACK" -- I'm positive that Meguiar's Ultimate Compound would take it off and leave no trace. It's their most aggressive consumer line product, and probably just what you need for this job.

But I'm glad the ScratchX worked for you, and hopefully it's all you need.

The UC actually will remove some clear coat, but there's no choice in order to level the surface to get rid of the scratches. It's not filling just filling them in. For those who think you need to repaint or that these products are just hype, then they've never used them.

It brought my old faded oxidized Toyota truck back from the dead. It was a light pink, almost white in places, and now it's bright red, almost as red as my Jeep. The Ultimate Compound is amazing, and a huge leap forward in technology compared to old fashioned rubbing compounds from Turtle Wax.

I would use the Ultimate Compound on the entire hood by hand instead of a DA, then use an all-in-one polish followed by a paint sealant, but only if the scratches magically reappear. Always use the least aggressive product first.

Quick Reply: Idiot wrote on my muddy hood!!! HELP