Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Idiot wrote on my muddy hood!!! HELP

Old 05-21-2009, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Location: Christiana, Tennessee, United States, United States
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idiot wrote on my muddy hood!!! HELP

One of the idiots that I work with thought it would be funny to write me a little message on the hood of my jeep, that was covered in mud, I don't think that they meant to do any harm , they were just trying to be funny. I washed the piss out of it today but you can still see the little fine scratched that it left behind in my paint. You can still clearly read the mesage at the right angle but you can see some of the scratches at any angle.

Any suggestions on how to get these scratches out? what would a paint place charge to do just the hood assuming that it DOES NOT need to be painted. I assume a body shop could buff them out easily, but what would they charge ?
Old 05-21-2009, 02:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

um wax it if it is scratched beyond hand waxing I would beat your "friends" ass and make him pay to have it fixed!
Old 05-21-2009, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

you might have to use some fine grit sand paper and sand out the imperfections.

disclaimer... i am by no means any sort of body person.. just seems like you could do this as if you were trying to sand out some orange peel or somthing..
Old 05-21-2009, 02:35 PM
JK Freak

meguiar scratch-X + claybar + wax , it will look like brand new
Old 05-21-2009, 02:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't sand the JK!!!, the clear is too thin! Try a claybar first, then wax and buff. If it doesn't come out, tell your "friend "he can pay for a paint job or get charged with vandalism. If it were me , I'd just break a couple of his fingers if he didn't pay up.Then press charges against him before he charges you. That way if he wants the charges dropped against him, he has to drop them on you. But, he'll still have the broken fingers.Been there before in a bit different situation.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

I use Kit Scratch Out frequently for scratches that you can't catch a finger nail in. It works great. If you can catch your nail, it needs to be painted.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hopefully, it just scratched the clear coat. As stated above, if you can catch the scrath with a fingernail, then it needs painted. If it seems lightly scratched,I use Siminiz. Its a clear coat fine mist spray that dealers charge at time of sale. Picked it up at a local auto store. I also used it on my Cherekee. Works great.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:25 PM
JK Super Freak

3M Finessit rubbing compound, apply just like wax and removes the finest scratches, repeat if ness. then just add a coat of wax.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:26 PM
JK Freak

Depending on type of paint (pearl) you have you may want to just Clay bar first . Usually it's little tike's that do this kind of thing only because they don't know better. Sounds like this person may be mentally challenged.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Use a compound to get the scratches off. Comes in a container just like Turtle Wax. Then wax the whole thing to try and idiot proof the paint.

Quick Reply: Idiot wrote on my muddy hood!!! HELP