Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Idiot parts manager

Old 05-13-2012, 05:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jkrubcon
Another thought, talk about beating a dead horse ! Well now I'm wondering if it's a wash. Does your additional miles gain wash out the cost of the fifth tire and mounting,
That's a good point to consider. Tires are freakin' expensive.

In my case, I have 4 years and 50k miles on my jeep and I still have lots of tread left. When these (5) wear out, I plan to get different tires (Duratracs), new rims, and new TPMS sensors. So I don't want a mismatched one in the mix (tire or rim).

But remember that if you do keep a pristine spare and go through a second set of 4, then that unused (or rarely used) spare is at or approaching the end of its safe lifespan (6-10 years, even if its unused).

In the end, its personal choice. Who knows, I could shred a sidewall tomorrow, then where would I be? (knock on wood)
Old 05-13-2012, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno I look at it this way with the dealership. When I walk into the service dept at my local dealer there is a big ass sign that says we charge $184/hour for labor. Anyone charging that kind of outrageous price to do work had better know every dam thing possible about what they sold me. If they dont we are going to have serious problems. Im not going to cut anyone slack that is charging me that kind of money for anything.

Quick Reply: Idiot parts manager