Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Idiot parts manager

Old 05-10-2012, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
... I then ask if he can put my VIN number and purchase records into the computer as proof for my lifetime warranty. ...
When did Jeep go back to lifetime warranties? I thought they ended after 2009?

http://www.jeep.com/en/2012/wrangler...lity/warranty/
We're confident in our vehicles and we're backing them with a 5-Year / 100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty+. The Powertrain Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a covered powertrain component — engine, transmission and drive system — on most new Jeep® vehicles. Coverage includes free towing to the nearest Jeep dealer, if necessary.

Last edited by Phantasm; 05-10-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

They don't include the lifetime anymore. I purchased the lifetime bumper to bumper at the time I bought the jeep.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotate me

So I went to the Chrysler dealership for the first time to purchase an oil filter cartridge for my new 2012 JKU sport. I know there was a thread on here about stupid things salespeople say. Well, lets add parts managers to this. My first words were I need an oil filter for my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. His first words - which size engine does it have. OK, I got past that. I then asked his opinion on the use of synthetic oil. He says - you know, once you put synthetic in, you can never go back to conventional for the life of the vehicle. I then ask if he can put my VIN number and purchase records into the computer as proof for my lifetime warranty. He says no, but I should just save the receipt as proof that I bought the filter. He then says that in order to maintain the Chrysler warranty I must change the oil every 5000 miles or every 6 months, whichever comes first. Doesn't the owners manual say 8,000? I will do 5000 mile intervals, but not because this idiot told me to. He then comes back to the synthetic oil question and says that the Jeep was not engineered to use synthetic and I shouldnt use it. He said they could get out of a warranty claim on a technicality if I use synthetic because the Jeep was not engineered for it. I sure hope the service manager is more educated than this parts manager.
LOL, You know, if the mechanic had done that and instead of you, it was a housewife of a dirative trader, they would have been pissed that the nice new spare had been taken off and a used tire had been put on the spare tire holder. IK'm just sayin.

Here's a good one for ya, My JK Rubicon is stuck in front posi, try and drive it three feet and it feels like it's going to blow. Tow it to the dealership and tell the service writer the issue and the reason I parked it right in front of their shop door the night before. I know how four wheel drive works on dry hot asphault...I told them to wet the floor of the shop in the path to the lift, OK, the "Jeep mechanic" can't get it out of FWD front, what's he do, you guessed it, drives it out to a parking place, breaks it on the way. OH POO! he says, gives the key's the the service writer and tell him to tell me it's all done. I drive it three feet and know he broke the hell out of it. I am friends with the dealership owner, The mechanic is in hot water. Doesn't work on Jeep anymore at least until he goes to tec school again. My friend cut me a chaek. Why's the mechanic mad with me? Hope I meet him out on the trail.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He then says that in order to maintain the Chrysler warranty I must change the oil every 5000 miles or every 6 months, whichever comes first. Doesn't the owners manual say 8,000? I will do 5000 mile intervals, but not because this idiot told me to.
You do realize that it is very probable that if you actually did yoru oc at 8k mile intervals, you wouldnt have a jeep at all? With the rate that these POS engines burn oil you would suck the motor dry. Its sad, but mine is burning about a quart every thousand. if the thing holds 6, well, do the math. in order to make 8k, youd have to add prob a handful of qts between changes, at that point, just change the oil. that motor is a joke
Old 05-11-2012, 04:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rocknrolla

You do realize that it is very probable that if you actually did yoru oc at 8k mile intervals, you wouldnt have a jeep at all? With the rate that these POS engines burn oil you would suck the motor dry. Its sad, but mine is burning about a quart every thousand. if the thing holds 6, well, do the math. in order to make 8k, youd have to add prob a handful of qts between changes, at that point, just change the oil. that motor is a joke
The 3.6 is burning oil, or are you talking about the 3.8? I have not heard of oil burning problems in the 2012 engines using the 3.6 pentastar.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:54 AM
JK Freak
Veteran: Air Force

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiblet

actually, those are reasons for doing a 5-tire rotation. and fairly often at that (like with every oil change). Otherwise what do you do when you actually need the spare? Especially if the flat one can't be repaired....

the only times I have heard of problems like those are when someone throws an unused spare into the mix with some worn tires.

best bet is that if you have 5, use all 5. wear them out and replace all 5. Tires have a limited useful life, even if they just sit on a spare rack they age. that's why they are required to have the date of production on each one.
All that said, you still have buy new tires based on the worst tire of the five. Follow me here. Seems to me, unless my math is balled up that you don't get any more miles out of a set of tires by putting a spare into the rotation mix. While that tire is hanging on the back of your jeep it's not being worn like the other four and will always be behind. It won't save you a nickel or a mile in the end.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 3.6 is burning oil, or are you talking about the 3.8? I have not heard of oil burning problems in the 2012 engines using the 3.6 pentastar.
x2, the burning oil is an issue with some of the 3.8 engines. The issues that the '12s have are more of the check engine lights, ticking, possible cylinder misfiring, lifters and heads. I had an '08 and it did use up oil, but that wasn't a big issue for me. The 08 never ticked and I always made it a habit to check the engine oil every other week and added oil if necessary...
Old 05-11-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jkrubcon

All that said, you still have buy new tires based on the worst tire of the five. Follow me here. Seems to me, unless my math is balled up that you don't get any more miles out of a set of tires by putting a spare into the rotation mix. While that tire is hanging on the back of your jeep it's not being worn like the other four and will always be behind. It won't save you a nickel or a mile in the end.
I've quickly done the math. Assume you go 50,000 miles and rotate every 5,000 miles, including the spare into the rotation. At the end of the 50,000 each of your tires would have seen 45,000 miles of pavement. So you theoretically increase the useful life by 10%.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've quickly done the math. Assume you go 50,000 miles and rotate every 5,000 miles, including the spare into the rotation. At the end of the 50,000 each of your tires would have seen 45,000 miles of pavement. So you theoretically increase the useful life by 10%.
You increase the life of the whole set of five, but if you are replacing with the same brand/size/ tread pattern each time, there would be no mileage advantage.

I rotate in my spare to get even wear on all the tires and make sure all 5 are used up at the same time. This way, you can go with a different brand/size/tread pattern next time without having an unused spare to worry about.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:58 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HogHoden

You increase the life of the whole set of five, but if you are replacing with the same brand/size/ tread pattern each time, there would be no mileage advantage.

I rotate in my spare to get even wear on all the tires and make sure all 5 are used up at the same time. This way, you can go with a different brand/size/tread pattern next time without having an unused spare to worry about.
I still stand by my math that shows a 10% increase in life of a set of five tires over a set of four tires, regardless of what they ultimately get replaced with. Each tire get less mileage put on it over time if you are consistently alternating which of the five is being used as a spare.

Quick Reply: Idiot parts manager