Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

I want a Rubicon, but... (Fender and Hard top question)

Old 01-11-2011, 01:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by remark
I don't like the painted flares. Trail scratches would bother me. With the regular black plastic ones scratches are hidden pretty well. On the down side I have gotten some red mud that seems to have stained some of the black plastic. I have tried everything to clean it and just gave up. It isn't very noticable anyway.
my red mud finally came off!!!!! you just need to get more mud on it a few more times and it will be gone!!!!

ON TOPIC you should forget about color matching and all that junk and just buy the rubicon. you would not believe how many forum members wish they had!!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go for the colour matched sahara, It might be worth something some day as a limited edition. big mistake on jeeps part. just my 2 cents
Old 01-11-2011, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2003 TJ was an all black Rubicon. It looked incredibly sharp when all cleaned up and spotless. Then came the scratches and swirl marks in the paint that wouldn't come out after spending a lot of time off the pavement.

White on the other hand hides the pin-stripes and scratches without problem. No more black jeeps for me.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Junkie

Sounds like the new Cherokee would fit perfectly for you but yeah get the rubicon and the parts of the sahara on rubicon will work.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Another option if you don't plan to wheel hard - get an X or sport and have the hard top painted (it costs me ~700) and pick up a pair of used Sahara flares (Seen them go for $100 or less)
Old 01-11-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bermudabums
I'd prefer the look of the body-color hard top and fenders.

I will use my vehicle for the daily drive, and in particular to meet with clients. As much as I'd personally prefer a rugged looking, lifted Rubicon with 37's, I think that the Sahara's solid color looks a bit more conservative and is more suitable for work considerations.

Does anyone know if you can order a Rubicon with body color fenders and hard top?....or are they available to order from Jeep or others? will a Sahara hard top and fenders fit on a Rubicon?

If I go with a black Rubicon, this is matching body color is less of an issue, but I'm wondering how hard it is to keep the plastic fenders and hard top looking shiny and clean after a weekend in the mud? I won't be doing too much bush wacking, so scratching up painted fenders are not too much of a concern.

The Rubicon's fenders and hard top look 'textured' to me, so I'm assuming simply having them painted would not give the same look as the Sahara.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ross
(currently shopping for '11 Rubicon Unlimited)
No offence, but it seems that you would be more suited for a regular SUV than a Jeep. Since your looking for something "more conservative and suitable for work" maybe look into the Jeep GC...

If you do get a JK, stay away from the color matched crap...its ghey...and you wont notice it anyways after your sitting at home bored with a few cans of bedliner in the garage If you buy a JK, get a rubi, take the top and doors off and take your clients for a ride they will never forget
Old 01-11-2011, 06:37 PM
JK Freak

That's the best advice I've heard today! I love my '11 GC, but my rubi minus the doors and top are the $@/?!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

i'm not impressed by the color matched look. i saw a red one and a yellow one at a dealer and they were downright FUGLY! the desert tan doesn't look bad, and i haven't seen many other colors in person, but overall i'm not a fan.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions -- you guys have confirmed a few things for me.

I do think that on the 2011 Sahara's, the fenders and hard top are 'smooth', so the body color paint should match the rest of the vehicle and won't look textured--looks more 'conservative' to my eye, but I'm not willing to compromise on the Rubicon's transfer case/axles, etc. I just found it confusing that when looking to buy smooth Sahara fenders and hardtop, that there is no different part # compared to any other fender or hard top (i.e. textured). So does Jeep spray on a 'black plastic textured paint' for Rubicon fenders/top? and then for Sahara, high gloss body color paint?

I think I'm leaning toward a black jeep anyway, so I'm just going to jump in to a Rubicon and you guys have confirmed that I should be able to make fender/top changes in the future -- cost of this is less than buying Sahara and then changing mechanics.

Last option I've considered is changing jobs!!!!

Thanks again,
Ross
Old 01-12-2011, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

Drive em both and see which one grabs your fancy.

Quick Reply: I want a Rubicon, but... (Fender and Hard top question)