Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

I traded my 08 2dr Rubi for 10 4dr Rubi.. My thoughts..

Old 01-12-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I traded my 08 2dr Rubi for 10 4dr Rubi.. My thoughts..

My wife had wanted a 4dr wrangler so I made the decision to trade off my 08 2dr Rubi and get a 2010 4dr Rubi for her daily driver.. I can see some advantages to the 4dr for the extra room and being able to take someone wheeling with us..

Both Rubi's have the same options (auto, dual top, tow group etc.) but the 2010 has the remote start and the side airbags.

First impressions:
The new 4dr is quieter than my 08. I immediately noticed that there is a an extra clamp for the hard top in the center of the windshield. Not sure if this contributes to it being quieter or not.. My 08 didn't leak and so far this one has not either..

I'm unsure how the soft top is going to clamp down around the side windows. I've taken the pieces out of the boxes and it's still a mystery. We'll see this summer I guess. If anyone has the new Sunrider top, let me know who it's working out for you..

The shifting of the auto is MUCH improved.. It downshifts much quicker and even uses the torque converter on occasion. It even holds the gear while going up hills unlike the 08.. With the 08 it would kick out the OD and then slowly bring the RPM's down until the OD was back on. Then we'd go through the whole routine again.. Unless you accelerated, it wouldn't keep the OD disengaged without pressing the OD off button.. Climbing hills around 50 or so it still wants to hunt between 2nd and 3rd but that is a minor annoyance and I find that if I just drop the shifter into 2nd it'll hold whatever speed I want... It got a work-out this weekend as we traveled from Denver to Salida via Kenosha Pass.. It's not a major climb but the route really showed off how well the auto is working now.

With the trailer tow you still get a rear tow hook unlike the 08.

Not 100% sure but the 4dr with the air raid filter (came off the 08) on it seems to pull the hills and runs just as good as my 2dr 08. We've only got 700 miles on it so we'll see how it goes.. On the return trip it the engine did seem to wake up a bit..

Gas mileage seems to be about the same.. 18.5 mpg going there and 21.6 on the way back.. That's just about what the 2dr would get on the same trip (although there is nothing scientific about those figures).

Visors are nothing to write home about but better than the 08.. Wife likes having the mirrors in them. Go figure...

Ditched the rear seat head rests (thanks to this forum) so that I could get my Bestop rear storage basket installed.. Had to mount the basket with different holes but it fits just fine.. Really didn't want to give that up as it's not designed to go in the 4dr.

Even with the winch mounted up it doesn't seem to be as low in the front as the 08 was.. This one seems to ride less nose down. We'll see how this goes as it breaks in as I had a 1 3/4" leveler kit on the 2dr. From the 4drs I had seen before I figured it would need one too.. It does seem that the Sahara's seem to ride lower in the front than the Rubi's though and I just haven't seen that many 4dr Rubi's around here..

Love the Charcoal color with the new Rubi wheels.. Makes a nice combo.

I had put the E3 plugs in my 08 and they made such a difference that I've already got a set for the 2010.. No hurry to get them in but I'll probably do that in the next few weeks.. Gotta get all the towing equipment installed first..

All in all I'm very happy with the jeep.. We'll see how the extra wheelbase effects 4-wheeling this summer.. I've had 4 2dr jeeps so I've never had to wheel with the extra length.. Wife doesn't want much of a lift (if any) and we got by just fine with the TJ's and 2" and the 08 JK with 1 3/4"..
Old 01-12-2010, 01:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made the same mistake. Waiting for the HEMI to go back to a 2dr.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saltman
I made the same mistake. Waiting for the HEMI to go back to a 2dr.
I thought your 2DR had even more issues than your 4DR?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

At about 7,500 miles, my 4 dr woke up significantly. At least it seems like it runs a lot better than it did brand new.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

The soft top confused me as well, but I figured it out. There are plastic moulding pieces that attach around the top of the doors so the soft top will seal.

I have a 09 4dr Rubicon Unlimited and tow a 16' flatbed with 4 quads and it does quite well with the help of the Superchip Flashpaq.

Enjoy your Jeep, I do.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these engines can take up to 5,000 miles to break in and wake up as some of u call it
Old 01-12-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tjwrangler2001
I had put the E3 plugs in my 08 and they made such a difference that I've already got a set for the 2010.. No hurry to get them in but I'll probably do that in the next few weeks.. Gotta get all the towing equipment installed first..
If you were able to get the 2 rear passenger side plugs in you've earned my respect.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tjwrangler2001
I'm unsure how the soft top is going to clamp down around the side windows. I've taken the pieces out of the boxes and it's still a mystery. We'll see this summer I guess. If anyone has the new Sunrider top, let me know who it's working out for you..
It's different on the 2010s. They don't "clamp on the side any more, it uses a tensioned cable with spring. Much improved and easier to open and close the Sunrider part of the top, and the top as a whole. The side and rear windows still attach as they did before, it's just the top over the doors that's different.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:13 AM
JK Freak

Good info. I have an 08 Rubi Unlimited and it is my first Jeep. Only thing I can say that you may notice is getting hung up in the middle...bad breakover angle. I recently added a 2" coil spring lift to level it out and got some much needed clearance...question when I go wheeling next (Jan 30) will be it enough!? Enjoy your new Jeep...4 doors are nice for the DD.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Well as far as the auto tranny, the difference is night and day.. It shifts soooo much better that it makes it fell like there is more power.. That alone would make the change worth it.. If your not thinking of an auto, then the decision to go with one of the other years is pretty sound..

Quick Reply: I traded my 08 2dr Rubi for 10 4dr Rubi.. My thoughts..