Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

i need to fix this!

Old 12-02-2010, 04:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need to fix this!

i have a extremly loud squeaking noise coming from my rear axle, pep boys pulled the brakes and everthing off and said everything looked good. we also spun the tires on the rack and there was no hopping or wiggling. lol this is the crazy part, i went to power wash my jeep today and when i left after washing it, it dident make a sound the whole way home. just went out a few mins ago and its doing it again! seeing that i start my drive to ga thursday i am hoping to figure this out by then. thanks
Old 12-02-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

...I know you said they pulled the brakes apart and checked, most likely for a little pebble or something in the pad....but is the dust shield rubbing? It's often forgotten about, and it just takes the smallest bump to push that tin shield into the rotor to make that god awful squeal...also, not just the caliper pads need to be checked, but the rotor should be pulled off to check the e-brake shoes inside the rotor hat...some contamination is common in there
Old 12-02-2010, 04:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
...I know you said they pulled the brakes apart and checked, most likely for a little pebble or something in the pad....but is the dust shield rubbing? It's often forgotten about, and it just takes the smallest bump to push that tin shield into the rotor to make that god awful squeal...also, not just the caliper pads need to be checked, but the rotor should be pulled off to check the e-brake shoes inside the rotor hat...some contamination is common in there
thanks i will look at that right now!
Old 12-03-2010, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

so i took every thing off and checked the e-brake. everything looks fine so i had the calipers turned and it still wont go away. nothing looks bent, weird or out of place. had some friends look at it and they couldent figure any thing out.

any other ideas?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

If it does it at slow speed, have someone you trust drive by you laying on ground next to it to make sure it's the rear & not the front. It does sound like brake/ foreign object squeal.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=kittisman;1966313]If it does it at slow speed, have someone you trust drive by you laying on ground next to it to make sure it's the rear & not the front. It does sound like brake/ foreign object squeal.[/QUOTE

i tried doing this last night and it would not make a noise so will try it again this morning, the noise isent all the time, some times it starts when i start driving and some times its doesent start for a couple of miles. i have the rear axle seal being repaired on monday, i have my fingers crossed that this will fix the problem!
Old 12-04-2010, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine does the same thing occationally. It is a fast high pitch squeek. If so its one of the poly bushings in the rear suspension. Lube them up with some grease and it will go away for a litttle while.

I think its from power washing the undercarriage. Causes the bushing to dry out some.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by strapped
Mine does the same thing occationally. It is a fast high pitch squeek. If so its one of the poly bushings in the rear suspension. Lube them up with some grease and it will go away for a litttle while.

I think its from power washing the undercarriage. Causes the bushing to dry out some.
are you talking about the bushing in the control arms?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JohnnyB
When they replace the seals they should replace the bearings and I have an idea the noise will go away. Bearings sound like that when they go bad, and if the seal is bad it is likely the bearing is too.
if it does i will be sooo happy, i guess we will find out monday. i just drove to and from the bar and i dident hear any squeaking, i guess we will see what happens. thanks for your input guys!

Quick Reply: i need to fix this!