Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

I know this one is all over the internet but I'm looking to confirm what I'm reading.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know this one is all over the internet but I'm looking to confirm what I'm reading.

I have a rubicon 13' with the upgrade wheels, currently running the stock tires
BFGOODRICH Size: LT255/75R17. I'm have no lift but I have 1.5 inch wheel spacers. My question is can I run an LT285/70R17 with just the 1.5 wheel spacers without issues? Is 1.5 enough? Is this setup ok and safty for both on and off road? Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should be fine. I run 285/75/17s on Rubicon wheels without spacers and the 285/75s are a bit taller than your 285/70s. I do have a 2.5 inch lift though, which only helps with the suspension travel doesn't do anything for the turning clearance and i barely rub when turning sometimes....
Old 05-12-2016, 08:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Consider a few of the variables. A specific tire size, from two different mfg's, can be an inch or more different in both height and width - even though they have the same number stamped on the sides. Tire height can change by how much psi you are running, and how much weight is bolted on, or loaded into, a jeep. Jeep height can vary right off the dealer lot based on build, model, or which stock coils you get. Overall jeep height (and clearance in the wheel weels) can also vary by jeep weight. Stock trackbars are not adjustable, so depending on weight and height, the axles may not be centered, even straight from the dealers lot, bringing one tire in closer than the other.

What it comes down to is that no one can guarantee that size-xx tires will or won't rub. Even if they tell you for a fact that they are running that tire and have no issues.

But, with the tires moved out, you 'should' be fine in regards to contacting the frame/ca's/etc. What you need to check is, since they are moved out, the tires may no longer tuck up inside the flares, and could contact the lips when stuffed, especially when disconneted. Plenty of threads and videos on chopping the stock fenders 'if' you get some rubbing there. Clear as mud, huh...
Old 05-12-2016, 09:51 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

^^^ +1 on nthinuf's comments

A person I went to TSF with a couple weeks ago had fender lip contact at full articulation with 285/70-17 and aftermarket wheels (unknown offset).

I run that tire size without spacers, and the tires tuck up inside a bit as the axle tilts fully. However, I had to add a washer to the steering stops to prevent contact at full steering angles. It's a cheap trick, and hardly increases the turn radius.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mr.T
^^^ +1 on nthinuf's comments A person I went to TSF with a couple weeks ago had fender lip contact at full articulation with 285/70-17 and aftermarket wheels (unknown offset). I run that tire size without spacers, and the tires tuck up inside a bit as the axle tilts fully. However, I had to add a washer to the steering stops to prevent contact at full steering angles. It's a cheap trick, and hardly increases the turn radius.
+2 ...

Last edited by BLK08JK; 05-12-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK08JK
+2 ...
285/70R17 tires on stock rubicon wheels. 2 steering stop washers on each side and no rubbing. I don't notice the difference in turning radius.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep801
285/70R17 tires on stock rubicon wheels. 2 steering stop washers on each side and no rubbing. I don't notice the difference in turning radius.
285/75-17 and 3 washers (thin and SS) with no rubbing. Fronts get close at turn when disconnected and stuffed, real close. I am lifted though, but no spacers.

Quick Reply: I know this one is all over the internet but I'm looking to confirm what I'm reading.