Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

I Know Chrysler Engineers Read This - Whats the latest with the new Diesel for the US

Old 04-23-2010, 05:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RubiconRed_Flagstaff
OK, so Chrysler now has a few billion bucks and has said there will be a new START / STOP diesel engine for about $28 grand starting price.

OK... Why do I want my diesel to shut off while I'm 4 wheeling? Is there an over-ride so that the engine will keep running if I pause on a ROCK LEDGE and may need to maneuver quickly ???

Will this Jeep run at NORMAL FREEWAY SPEEDS. This includes Arizona where the speed limit is 75mph. (120kph) - If you are not running at that speed 18 wheel trucks will run you down. I cant even do that with 4.10 gears now.

How much BIGGER are you going to make the fuel tank? People who drive diesels want to drive forever on a tank. My Jeep barely makes 275 miles (440km) on a good day. Let alone out 4 wheeling.

In the US, diesel fill-up stations are not as plentiful as Europe or Australia. When I go 4 wheeling there are semi-ghost towns that may have regular (for 5 bucks a gallon) but rarely diesel.

And please, don't give us an inferior Fiat redesign diesel. Please give us a decent diesel with at LEAST 275 hp and 340 lb feet of torque. Thats an EASY baseline for todays diesels.

If you come to market with something like 200hp and 250 lb feet it wont sell, no matter how many chicken lips you put on it.

How about the Intercooler?

How about the Turbo? or even better TURBOS... like 2 of them.

Will it take Urea? Particulate filters that are expensive to replace?

What transmissions are you going to use? Same lame automatics that hunt for a gear every 7 seconds like a bronc ride?

Comments? Please limit this thread to US diesels, we know Canada and everyone else has had them for years, but we need them here.

SO CHRYSLER ENGINEERS AND FIAT DIESEL ENGINEERS: Are you listening to the people who are paying your bills?

Sorry, but I doubt they would just post all this 'not disclosed' information on JK-Forum..
Old 04-23-2010, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I did a little reading on it last night.

I did find out:

It's not the CRD that the world has:

It is a FIAT 4 banger, turbocharged. It will shut off when you come to a stop. How nice. Stop and go traffic and my A/C shuts off. For this reason alone, nobody will buy it here in Arizona. Or anywhere else unless they have electric a/c compressors, power steering, brakes, etc. The automatic shutoff is only and solely to attain EMISSIONS, not mpg.

It is highly doubtful this 4 banger will have enough hp to maintain freeway speeds. Trailering will be best at 45mph. Fully floored.

It will have lots of diesel torque, but thats only good for the 1 - 20mph range. You need horsepower for freeways.

Looks like Chrysler / Fiat shot an arrow and hit their foot. Who ever heard of and engine that wont stay on for a/c ???
Old 04-23-2010, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will have lots of diesel torque, but thats only good for the 1 - 20mph range. You need horsepower for freeways.
2000rpm cruise on the highway you need horsepower? Hmm. Whole reason these 3.8s are revving all of the time is because it has no torque. So the diesel has lots of torque, but thats only working to 20mph? As with ANY diesel I'd imagine there to be aftermarket tuning to up the boost and fuel, I'd imagine awesome gains to be had if it's tunable.

Torque gets the job done, horsepower is how fast you get there (rpm). You want to pull a grade 'fast' you rev it out and use that to gain speed. You want to pull a grade without downshifting you use torque and just pull it while being able to maintain speed. (regearing multiplies torque).

Last edited by GoodysGotaCuda; 04-23-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

It still takes HP at 75mph. And torque.

I agree tuners will undoubtedly come out with fixes to make the engine what it should have been in the first place. I wonder if the engineers ever actually drive what the design.

The 3.8 you are right, can't pull grades at all.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Before I had my jeep I had a Ram 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins with a edge juice plus attitude and it was great. About having a turner for the new diesel's you can forget it. The 2011 6.7 cummins are locking the pcm and ecm so no tuners or chips can be added. Im guessing all other groups will be doing the same. The day of proformance diesels are becoming a thing of the past and its a sad thing.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lock the PCM? ha. Shops will just sell an entire new pcm. There will always be a way.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like Chrysler / Fiat shot an arrow and hit their foot. Who ever heard of and engine that wont stay on for a/c ???
This isn't something that's new. Lots of manufacturers are moving to engines like this that shut off at a stop. Everyone else has figured out how to keep the A/C working. I'm sure Chrysler can do the same.

Quick Reply: I Know Chrysler Engineers Read This - Whats the latest with the new Diesel for the US