Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

I can't take the squeaking anymore! Advice??

Old 10-17-2016, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't take the squeaking anymore! Advice??

Hey guys,

I have had my 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon for about 4 years now and I've got an amazing 150,000+ miles on it.

Within the past year I had noticed a slight squeak coming from the front drivers side wheel when I would brake, figuring it was the brakes I took the wheel off and inspected the brakes, calipers, etc and nothing seemed out of place or unusual. Put everything back together and it went away for awhile.

Last week it came back with a vengeance. Regardless of my speed, as long as I am going straight, or turning left (even just slightly) the squeak is there. I am confident that it isn't the brake pads, rotors, or calipers as I've replaced them all and do not notice any abnormal wear.

The squeak sounds rotary, each rotation of the wheel provides one squeak! Whether I'm going 5 mph or 60 mph. When I apply the brakes the squeak seems to get louder then stops after enough pressure is applied.

I've taken it into multiple shops with the hope of them finding something but I only ever hear back about my P.O.S. EGR Valve and steering stabilizer that is old and needs replacement...

Could it be the tie rod? I know I've got a worn front pinion seal but would that cause a squeak that changes with brake pressure? I've recently had the U-joints replaced so I don't think it could be them.

Any suggestions or help would save me another painstaking week of headaches...
Old 10-17-2016, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you absolutely positive it's coming from the front? The rotational squeak is a common symptom of a bent rear axle flange.

Quick Reply: I can't take the squeaking anymore! Advice??